The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
haggerfly

Sending Email

haggerfly

I have a database that is published through web publisher, I have set up some automatic email links for people to click for a geneneric email, it works fine from my original file but on the web when I click on it, it does nothing...anyone can help me?

THANK YOU

in advance

Carrie

cando

The Send Mail script step is one of those that doesn't work in IWP. To find the other ones that don't work, check "Indicate web compatibility" at the bottom left of the Edit Script dialog and they will become greyed out. You might want to have a look at all your other scripts too.

AHunter3

You can, however, use Open URL and deploy a mailto: URL —

Set Variable ($email, "mailto:"& YourTable::Username& "?Subject="&YourTable::EmailSubjectField&"&Body="&YourTable::Field_A&"¶"&YourTable::Field_B)

Open URL [$email, no dialog]

cando

I suppose you could use this to send mail to multiple recipients as well by looping through email addresses in a found set and concatenating them into a variable? Is there any way to make them BCC's or is that asking too much smiley-smile ?

haggerfly

Thank you So mUCh, That works great in eudora, but in Apple mail, its shows the body content in the subject line..did I make a mistake somewhere?

haggerfly

nevermind i figured it, thanks!

haggerfly

Ok, one last problem, I figured out the applemail for the subject line, but now its not reading the paragraph breaks, does anyone know how that works, or should I just stick with eudora?

AHunter3

Eudora seems to be a bit more standards-compliant.

cando
Is there any way to make them BCC's?

To answer my own question, 'yes': Syntax simply &Bcc=emailaddress. But I haven't been able to figure out a way to leave the "To:" field empty. Is this possible?

AHunter3

You can't leave it empty but you can address it to yourself or something.

Keep in mind that because lots of spammers "bcc" their spam to the world, individuals often have spam filters that nuke bcc email unless it's from someone on their address book; corporate servers often filter out incoming email with more than x number of "bcc" entries on the same email, and your own ISP may nuke outgoing email according to a similar parameter.

FileMaker lets you send mail for a found set of records sending one email per record. It's not much slower on your end, really, and the result is more likely to get through.

cando
FileMaker lets you send mail for a found set of records sending one email per record

That would be using Send Mail, however. With Open URL , the "perform without dialog" option just hides the "Specify URL" dialog; the mail message still opens requiring the user to hit the Send button each time, so it's not practical for mass mailings one at a time, even if you wrote a looping script. With Send Mail, "perform without dialog" hides the actual mail message itself and just fires off the email(s).

AHunter3

ok, good point.

chales

If you were hosting the file on FM Server, what would be the best way to get the Server to send the email?

AHunter3

I don't think there's any facility for FmServer to do the sending instead of the local client.

jimrecht

Is there a way to use this (AHunter's) strategy:

You can, however, use Open URL and deploy a mailto: URL —

Set Variable ($email, "mailto:"& YourTable::Username& "?Subject="&YourTabl e::EmailSubjectField&"&Body="&YourTable::Field_A&" ¶"&YourTable::Field_B)

Open URL [$email, no dialog]

to send the content of several records, in the body of a single email?

AHunter3

Yes, but you have to loop through the found set of records and assemble the mailto and/or cc and the body if the body is to contain info from the various different records as well. At the end of your loop, you want a $variable for each parameter that you assembled as you went through your records, and then you can send a single email with all that info in it.

FM9fan

I have a network with PCs and Macs. One of the PC's (XP home) FM9 client crashes when script step does a "send email". Also, "open URL" script steps don't work from this PC (no browser opens). These scripts work fine on the Other PCs and macs in the network. Can anyone give hints what to look for?

TIA!!!!

AHunter3

Each individual computer has to have a designated email client. PC #1 could have Outlook designated as the email program, PC #2 might have Thunderbird, PC #3 could be using Eudora, and so forth.

Easy way to find out: click here and tell us what program (if any) opens:

user@domain.com

If none at all opens, it doesn't work in FileMaker because it doesn't work anywhere else either, and needs to be set.

If it opens in some standard email program, it may be a setting for that email program or it may be a problem in a FileMaker setting.

FM9fan
click here and tell us what program (if any) opens:

user@domain.com

THX very much for helping!

Clicking on that link (from FMtoday on a browser on the problem PC) opened a 'new message' in Outlook express.

Tom

FM9fan
THX very much for helping!

Clicking on that link (from FMtoday on a browser on the problem PC) opened a 'new message' in Outlook express.

Is there a Filemaker setting where I need to choose 'Outlook Express"? I was not able to find anything in the preferences.

TIA

AHunter3

It's not in FILEMAKER prefs at all; it's system-wide and you set it in one of your Windows Control Panels. Internet, or Web & Mail, or some such thing, I don't recall what it's named.

Outlook is a problematic email program; it was rife with dangerous security holes, and then in response to that Microsoft locked it down pretty tight. When told by some other program (such as FileMaker) to send out an email, Outlook will by default notify you "hey some other program is asking me to send an email out, what's up with that?"

I don't know if that could be the cause of your problem, but you might experiment with installing and configuring a different email program and comparing behavior; that will at least rule out the problem being something in FileMaker itself, if the other email program sends out the email just fine once set up and designated as your email program of choice.

extensitech

This may not matter, but...

Outlook Express is not the same application as Outlook. Express is a stripped-down version that ships included in Windows. If that's the application that came up, and you didn't expect that it would, I would guess that you've never set up an account in Outlook Express, and you normally use a web-based email.

I've used Outlook for nearly a decade, and highly recommend it. Security holes get patched, and the big ones are several years in the past. On the other hand, I've not found another PIM that comes even close to the features. When trying to send email through Outlook from another app, you may get a message warning you, depending on the version. In most versions, you can shut that off in the Outlook options.

I had a client last year who had a similar problem, where the sendmail step crashed FileMaker. We narrowed it down to an OS-level problem, but then he just decided to switch computers, which he'd already planned to do, so we never got a final answer. I can say from experience, though, that FileMaker can send email just fine through Outlook or Outlook Express.

HTH

Chris Cain

Extensitech, Inc.

PilatesBlackBelt
Yes, but you have to loop through the found set of records and assemble the mailto and/or cc and the body if the body is to contain info from the various different records as well. At the end of your loop, you want a $variable for each parameter that you assembled as you went through your records, and then you can send a single email with all that info in it.

Could I persuade you to explain this further? I'm using Thunderbird on a Mac to send out an email to multiple recipients, usually between 5 and 10 people. I'm having some difficulty assembling my mailto list of addresses. It works fine when I just have 1 person to email, but when I have two or more the "To:" field shows up blank. (I don't know if this makes a difference, but in the Set Variable dialog, I put 1 for the # or repetitions. I tried using other numbers, but it seemed to make no difference.

Here is the pertinent portion of the script:

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Loop

Set Variable [$email; Value:TargetGroup::Email]

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next;Exit after last]

End Loop

Open URL [No dialog; "mailto:"&$email&"?subject=BLAH"

Any help you could give on the matter would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Club Sport

Can you use this to paste a previously exported HTM file or a table of fields into the body of the email?

AHunter3

You could attach them as file attachments, if you are using Send Mail []. (Not supported at all in Open URL [mailto://].

Real email is a text format. The fact that modern email programs support various HTML and inline graphics and whatnot doesn't change the fact that they are nonstandard features.

If you want to incorporate field values into your email body, that, on the other hand, is entirely acceptable.

Send Mail [Message Body = "Hi, "&YourTable::FirstName&" "&YourTable::LastName&", ¶¶I have not received your check for " &YourRelatedTable::Invoiced Amount&" for Invoice Number "&YourRelatedTable::Invoice Number&" yet."

HexxaBubba

hEY aL,

Thanks for everything you do. I'm having problems dropping text into the body of an email . I'm using "mailto:"& "name@myemail.com" & "&Bcc="& Contacts::g.batch.email & "?Subject="&"My Subject" &"&Body=" & Contacts::g.email.body

All the text doesn't make it, and doesn't recognize returns. Puts everything on 1 line. HELP!

AHunter3

So the problem is entirely in the email body?

Yes, I've noticed that Windows makes hash of email bodies that were intended to have hard returns. Send Mail (as opposed to Open URL:mailto) does not do that.

What do you mean by "all the text doesn't make it"? There are "dealbreakers", characters that you can't include (at least not "raw") in an email body. The ampersand is one of them. Can't send an email about ice cream with "Ben & Jerry's" in the email body. It WILL cut off right after the 'Ben' if you do.

Important Information

Terms of Use