under the microscope

Making images placed in Mac show up in Windows

under the microscope

H1!

The last three months I have been creating a photo catalog using FMP 7 on a Mac (OS 10.4.8). I imported jpgs edited in iphoto -originally taken by digital camera - and then resized into smaller size to conserve space. In the Mac the pictures show up as desired - beautifully in fact. When I transferred the database to the PC using windows (unfortunately I do not have the version in my mind as I write this) and opened the the folder in the image field it shows a white background with the message "Quick Time and a TIFF (uncompressed) decompressor are needed to see this picture".

I consulted with the IT guy at our institution and he is puzzled in figuring out the solution. He downloaded a Quick time player yesterday but that did not solve the problem. The stupid PC is also unable to open up the raw JPGs that are not embedded in the filemaker catalog - the message says that "preview" is not available - again the IT guy is stumped and says that it should not be. He indicated that the only way to solve this is to start from scratch and import the pictures from the camera while never having them "corrupted" by contact with a Mac. I find this answer unacceptable as there are over one thousand pictures in the database and almost 6 months of total work involved. There has to be some way to show pictures on a PC that show up on a Mac.....any ideas?

I am pretty desperate for any solutions. I am not a fan of PCs and thus have to take what the IT guy says on faith...he is not a fan of Macs and always tells me that I am on my own and thus assuming all the risks of continuing my projects on the Mac.........

thanks for the help.

under the microscope

AHunter3

Exactly how did you insert the images when you were on the Mac?

There's a routine called Insert QuickTime, did you use that? (Inserting a QuickTime object — which can be a picture, not merely a movie — works cross-platform, but you do need to download and install the latest version of QuickTime from Apple's web site to make use of it on the PC).

If you "Imported from folder" I would not think you would be inserting as QuickTime, but rather "as picture". That should not require QT on the PC.

under the microscope

Oh my goodness....I just realized that I may have sabotaged my project (based on your reply) by not using that option to insert my pictures. I just used the copy and paste steps....I copied the picture as a jpeg and pasted it into the "image" field....Does this mean that none of my pictures that I put into the database that way will show up on the PC? The pictures that I am working now as we speak I will do as the "insert picture" option....I am not sure what the difference is, as far as the computer is concerned.........on the mac, using either method seems to bring up the picture very well.

Do you think it is just a matter of downloaded "preview" onto the PC?

AHunter3

You could download and install the latest version of QuickTime on the PC, and the PC should then be able to view your existing pictures. Or you can export field contents to a file on the desktop that you specify ("tempsave.pdf" or tempsave.pict" ... try those and see if one of those is the valid extension for exported field contents when the field contains pasted image data), then turn around & Insert Picture by specified filepath Get(DesktopPath)&"tempsave.pict"; if that works, you can do it in a looping script and clean up all your legacy data in short order.

under the microscope

Hi again,

Thank you for all your help with my problem. I had a chance today at work to try the database with the pictures that I inserted using the menu option(as opposed to the cut and paste technique). When I loaded that database onto the PC after inserting the images on my mac at home, those pictures appeared on the PC. So it seems that this is the key. I am not sure how I can get the previously installed pictures to work witout having to start all over again inserting the jpegs by the menu option.

But the thing that is still puzzling my PC expert is that the jpeg files that are stored on the travel drive and are not part of any database cannot be opened. I installed QuickTime player and even tried the irfanview application and neither of these will open the jpegs. Just double clicking on the icon gives me a message that the "preview" app cannot be found...or it launches a microsoft office app (?)and then just shows a white rectangle with an "X" in the middle of the box. If I try to open via quick time I get the message that hte file is not a movie. If I try to open it through the iffanview I get the error message that the file name is missing or has a wrong header (or something like this). My IT guy thinks that it is some block that apple put on for proprietary reasons (?) and is not sure if there is a way to get around this. Any ideas?

I am encouraged though that I can at least get the filemaker pro pictures to work if I follow the right steps. That is the good news! the bad news is that I have over 1,000 pictures to re-insert..........in between putting in the photos as I get them on a day by day basis. I guess more weeks of watching the sunrise from my beside laptop stationsmiley-frown

I appreciate any ideas - what you have directed me to has helped. I wished I would have thought to ask first though.

-L-

AHunter3
But the thing that is still puzzling my PC expert is that the jpeg files that are stored on the travel drive and are not part of any database cannot be opened.

You mean they are stored as a reference?

The reference, as stored by the Mac, would be something akin to:

"/Volumes/TravelDrive/Images for FileMaker/Imagename.jpg"

The problem is that, from the PC's perspective, that file is at:

"E:\Images for FileMaker\Imagename.jpg"

Light bulb going on for you yet?

Yes, it's a total PITA and has been plaguing FmPro developers since version 3 at least.

At least now you can DO something about it:

Instrux

Well, not quite instrux, you'll have to modify a bit, but the point is that you can now abstract out from the container field what the Mac path is and from that insert the PC path via calculation. And it doesn't overwrite the Mac path so when you're done it's got both paths.

under the microscope

No the ones that cannot be opened are not stored as part of the filemaker program. No file reference to that at all.

the are just the "raw" data, I guess you would say, of the pictures. I downloaded them from the camera and put them on the travel drive to take home to then put them on my home computer. From my home computer I insert them into the filemaker pro database. So it is these raw images that the PC cannot open - it doesn't seem to matter if they are told to open them directly from the travel drive or if I copy them onto the harddrive first, then try to open them either by double clicking or by opening the application first then trying to view them by following the menu option of "open file".

Either step, using any of the so-called viewing applications will allow me to see the image. I just get those error messages.

The filemaker pro thing is figured out I think - I just have to follow the insert picture menu and not the cut and paste technique that the help document advises. And the PC can see the pictures if I send them to it via email...from my Mac. But a PC cannot read those that I send to it from the PC....and that is where the IT guy is stymied. Why can he see the pictures that I send through the Mac but not when I send them through the PC? and of course, why can't the PC open images stored on the hard drive? He has pretty much given up.

Thanks

AHunter3
No the ones that cannot be opened are not stored as part of the filemaker program. ...So it is these raw images that the PC cannot open - it doesn't seem to matter if they are told to open them directly from the travel drive or if I copy them onto the harddrive first, then try to open them either by double clicking or by opening the application first then trying to view them by following the menu option of "open file".

OK, we're talking about the images AS IMAGES, a problem you have even when FileMaker isn't even running? You doubleclick on the files and PC can't open them? What's the file extension? What program opens them on the Mac?

Are they literally ".raw" images?

under the microscope

Hi

I feel like I am really taking up your time here and I apologize if I am getting off track. I realize that this forum is really only for filemaker problems but the one seems to be related to the other.

No, they are not really a .raw file.....I know I should have been clearer with that than just using quotes but I couldn't come up with a word that would have explained what I meant.

The images are being stored on the travel drive as .jpg. This is what the camera uses although I do have the option to store them as .raw on the camera - I just never have as it didn't seem to be the option that I wanted for the stuff that I was doing (taking pictures through the microscope). So at this point, this is the obstacle...that even if I wanted to import directly from the .jpg I can't because the PC is not able to open a .jpg image. If I double click on .jpg , it tries to open it with some microsoft word app and all that I get with that is a white window with a tiny "x" in it. When I try to open through QuickTime it says that file cannot be opened because it is not a movie, even though I select the image option for the question on what file type I am looking for. If I try to open it through irfanview it gives me the error message that the file cannot be found or that it has a bad file header or something like this. Again, the .jpg that I send to another PC via email through the PC cannot be opened from that end; but when I send the exact same image via the Mac to a PC it can be opened and if I upload the image to an on-line photoalbum (yahoo) this too can be seen by either a Mac or a PC. So I do not think the problem is through the camera or even the Mac but the of PCs / windows both say that this is impossible and cannot happen even though they are seeing it with their own eyes. Which is why they have given up on me.

The programs that can open them in Mac are Preview, iPhoto and filemaker pro 7.0. I haven't tried the quick time on the mac...I guess that is something that may be useful (?) to do.

Again, sorry for taking up so much of your time. I know that this really isn't something that many people care about...but it is frustrating to me because even I, as little as a fan of PCs that I am, have to believe that even a PC cannot be this bad that it cannot open a simple jpg that any other computer can see.......

-L-

AHunter3

Since when can't a PC open a .jpg file?

That's weird, just plain weird. It does end in the file extension ".jpg"? (PCs are kind of stupid about figuring out what to do with a file in the absence of a file extension).

Download XRay and run XRay on one of these JPEG files and post all the file info that XRay tells you about them.

under the microscope

Now that is EXACTLY what the PC IT people are sayingsmiley-laughing !

That is why they have given up....

I am looking at the name now (albeit on the Mac with the travel drive) and it says: 1 patient A-1-9.jpg this works fine for the mac and for emailing, uploading to photo albums, web pages, blogs, etc from the Mac.....but it will not open on the PC whether I copy it from the travel drive to the harddrive, or try to open directly from the travel drive or send it with an emailing, etc from the PC. So for some reason, this PC just will not show images..... That is why one of my friends think that apple put some kind of weird code in the file somewhere that the PC doesn't recognize - a proprietary block or something. He tried to follow it but says he has no idea at this point.

the only thing I notice is that when some of the photos are copied onto the hard drive the name gets changed to _:name or something like that. So i tried to get rid of that prefix by copying the image onto the hard drive and deleting those symbols but it will not allow me to rename the picture - gives me an error message and bounces it back to the weird prefix. That is what my friend thought could be the block by apple I think (?).

AHunter3

Bingo.

The external drive must be a FAT32-formatted drive. There will (or should be) TWO of each filename, some with underline prefixes and some without. There may or may not be an entire folder of the files with the prefixes.

Those are the RESOURCE FORKS of the files.

A Windows PC can't make use of the resource fork. Doesn't know a resource fork from a salad fork.

You need to find the copy of the file that does NOT start with an underscore. That's the data fork of the file. Send THAT to the PC.

AHunter3

Better yet, open the files in Photoshop on the Mac, do a fresh Save As, save to your local hard drive (NOT!~!! the travel drive), and then email that copy of the file to the PC.

under the microscope

I will have to look when I get to work on that computer. As far as I can tell on my flash drive there is no other file that has that resource fork.

the only time that underlined prefix shows up is when the files appear on the PC. On the lexar traveldrive, all the file names appear without that. I have opened all the files on it and I havent found any on it like that....it only appears when the flash drive is on the PC...so maybe only the PC shows that....and maybe when I look at the PC tomorrow with the flash drive on it that other folder will be visible on the flash drive.

If so, I assume that I transfer that folder to the PC? And / or use that folder to attach to the email, etc....... but when the lexar is connected to the PC, and I ask to show the image files, only those with the underline show up.....even though the icon is blanked out.....no other icons show up, folder or files. But then, I wasn't looking real hard for duplicate folders either.

I really feel like I am taking up too much of your time. I am very grateful for all the answers you have given to my probably stupid questions.

I am heading to sleep now! Thanks again!!!! I can let you know what happens bad or good- you deserve it at the least.

under the microscope

Hi,

i figured I needed to tell you the outcome of the image problem with the PC and filemaker pro.

After a heated discussion about only dumb people choosing to use macs, and being directed to the macsucks.com my PC IM buddy was able to help me figure out the problem.

It seems that images that I transfer directly from iPhoto to the travel drive then to the PC are readable to the PC (though a microsoft word app). It is able to read both a large file and one that I ask to be reduced in size. And it will work whether I do a drag and drop or an "export as". When I look on the travel drive the name is maintained as written...no ._ prefix. BUT when I export the files to the harddrive, and then copy that folder on the hard drive to the travel drive an then try to copy that folder onto the PC harddrive, the images are saved as the ._ So it seems that this intermediate step is somehow transforming the files from a PC readable jpg to the unreadable one. The interesting thing is if I use the hard drive folder (as opposed to exporting from iphoto into FMpro) to do an "insert picture" into the image field, this ends up also readable to the PC. So somehow taking the image off the hard drive folder and putting it into FM pro using its step (as opposed to copying and pasting) restores the jpg to a PC readable file. That is the step that my friend thinks is an apple block....that somehow saving pictures right on the hard drive somehow causes them to change to the ._ title.

So I now have the solution to both the problems as far as avoiding it in the future. A hard lesson to learn after all this time and investment with the prior unusable images that I copied and pasted into filemaker, but at least it can be considered solved.

Thanks again for giving me the information to get to this point! without your help, I never would have figured this out probably.