The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
neutron

Formatting Merge Fields

neutron

I'm having problems formatting merge fields.

I want to resize a merge field to fixed width and height but by it's nature it won't resize.

Does anyone know a good trick to overcome this?

PS:sorry for my english.

CobaltSky
by it's nature it won't resize.

Hi neutron,

Welcome to the Café!

However I must way I'm not sure how to interpret your question. In my experience, merge fields are resizeable (in layout mode) like any other layout object.

Perhaps if you coudl explain a little more about what you are trying to do, how you are trying to do it and what is happening to prevent you, it might be easier for us to advise you.

neutron

Thank you CobaltSky for your reply.

Here is my question again.

I added a merge field with the following fields.

> > >

The merge field is 200 px wide and 16px tall when all fields are shown in a row. But when I resize the width of the merge field to 100 px, it got wrapped and the fields inside are dropped. Now it got 20px tall.

For e.g.

> >

>

I just want the merge field to have 100px wide and 16px tall because in the browse mode the content of the field just fit in.

Note: I'm using FM Pro 8.5 Advanced in Windows XP SP2

CobaltSky

I see. So you want to make the merge field object smaller than the size of the placeholders.

To do that, select the text that comes after the first chevron in each merge field placeholder and reduce it's font size (you can use custom font sizes to go down below 6pt - all the way to 1pt if necessary). You'll then, in layout mode, have something along the lines of:

> > >

You should then be able to set the object width to 100px.

In browse mode, however, the size of the text will be based on the size of the leading schevron character of the placeholder - the size of the rest of the placeholder text will be ignored. ;)

neutron

Thank you very much CobaltSky!

The trick works like a charm.

smiley-smile

Jack Rodgers

It's easier to use regular field objects and then you don't have to worry about the size of the field.

brucewilson

You can create a calculation field to concatenate the fields you want to merge and display that

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.