MintonMagic

Piracy Protection

MintonMagic

Hello Everyone,

I am getting close to finishing a FM solution and I was wondering what is the best way to secure your application from piracy. I know that it isn't 1 solid way, but I would like a way to somewhat control the distribution of my solution.

Plugins, 3rd party software, or even some script examples would be helpful!

Thanks a lot.

Roger

Using Filemaker Pro 8.5 Advanced

AHunter3

Your first and best line of defense is use the tool in FileMaker Advanced to permanently remove Admin access (field defs, script editing, layout modifying) from (a COPY! of) the solution, and only distribute THAT, not the dev copy which of course is still structurally modifiable.

All the password crackers in the world won't pry open the code of your solution once you've done that!

Or did you mean more in terms of "prevent anyone from using the solution as an end user without paying me for the privilege"?

MintonMagic

I Have already removed the admin access to the runtime solution.

I do plan on selling it, so yes I would like to control the users who have purchased an unlock code, or serial number

AHunter3

No one's figured out a really elegant yet inobtrusive way of doing it. You can require a dongle (USB hardware device without which solution won't run) but that tends to annoy legitimate owners of the product; you can deploy in-depth registration processes that bind the product to the MAC address and other HW config params, but again that can annoy legitimate owners. Just ask Quark and Microsoft! Less intrusive mechanisms are easier to bypass, though.

MintonMagic

Any Suggestions on going about a simple manner?

I saw a solution that generates a 24 digit code (broken in segments of 4) based on a company's name entered into a field in FM.

I was thinking of creating a code based on Company Name, address etc. These values are used all over, so using another companies name to unlock the software would be irritating due to the names on reports etc.

I just don't know how to go about doing this. Any Ideas? you can email me as well if that would be quicker!

Thanks!

Roger

AHunter3

I did one where to install and register the sw required the end user to get on the phone with us and enter a code that depended on part on the time of day we received the call. Company-specific info was stored in the file at that time.

But once that copy was registered, if someone were to be unbothered by that company's name appearing on the printable forms and whatnot, there wasn't much keeping them from copying the whole database to another computer.

MintonMagic

I understand about some customers being unbothered by the company name.

I am a magician and this app is geared to organizing customers, invoices, shows, calendar, contracts etc. The company Name is plastered on all reports, invoices, and contracts, which are the main features of the application. Most of my "Magic Friends" who will use it as intended will not want another companys name on the reports.

I think I have got a solution, but thanks for the help!

Important Information

Terms of Use