The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
chriswheat

Open PDF Stored in Container

chriswheat

I have a layout that has the details for electronic items and has separate container fields for a picture of the item and the instruction manual for that item. I would like to have a button next to the container field for the manual that would automatically open the PDF file for viewing. So far I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Thanks for your help!

Maarten Witberg

- the pdf must be stored as a reference only

- the script step Go To Field [select/perform; TheTable::TheContainer]

should do it.

chriswheat

I want FileMaker to hold all of the pdf's without having to have them exist elsewhere on my machine. So I was able to write a script step that does this:

Export Field Contents [Equipment::Product Manual; "manual.pdf"; Automatically open]

It of course creates a pdf, but I can have it do that in a hidden folder somewhere, and it automatically overwrites that PDF should I want to open a different manual.

Maarten Witberg

Fair enough. but...

- You never want to have two manuals open at the same time?

- It will bloat your filemaker database. I'm not sure if it will affect speed. depends on the number of manuals and their size.

Bucko

Working well for me using the temporary path to save the file.

I want FileMaker to hold all of the pdf's without having to have them exist elsewhere on my machine. So I was able to write a script step that does this:

Export Field Contents [Equipment::Product Manual; "manual.pdf"; Automatically open]

It of course creates a pdf, but I can have it do that in a hidden folder somewhere, and it automatically overwrites that PDF should I want to open a different manual.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.