jsholl80

Filemaker & a "Paperless" Document Archive

jsholl80

I am in desperate need of help...

I have convinced our offices that we need to go completely paperless with all of our files. We have over 1,000 binders that we will scan into PDF files (about 100-500MB each). I want to input the following fields into a searchable database: project, title, contents, date, & original location. The PDF files will be stored on our server (along with the FM Database). This will allow us to search and find the data on any computer on the network.

Next: I'd like to make a "drop zone" so I can drag and drop the PDF file, have the FM Database pull the filename, size & date -- but never attach the PDF into the record as a file. This would make the database grow into many, many terabytes.

Finally, a link that allows the user to click a button to open the PDF outside of FileMaker. I'd like global variables to set the Server IP Address (incase it gets moved or the network is updated) and the folder name (determined by the project). Since the system would capture the filename, all that is assembled in the programming of the "link" button would be IPaddress+Folder Name+Filename

I think this is relatively simple to construct, I just haven't had the brain power this week to tackle it, and could use some help. Any suggestions? I'll test it alongside replies in this thread. It is a small start, and we're looking at server upgrades seperately, to accomodate the load.

matt1977a

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I am looking at doing something similar.

Bart57266

I need info on this also, as we are just starting our conversion to paperless PDF files managed by FMP.

Challenge #1: Readiris Pro 11 software (OCR) can produce PDF files that contain text over the scanned image, and is therefore searchable by Acrobat. I'm trying to figure out how we can scan all of our paper files with Readiris, then import the images AND OCR text into FMP for the obvious search benefits.

Challenge #2: Being able to either open a PDF in acrobat for the nice viewing features (mainly zooming in on details), OR somehow getting FMP to allow zooming. So far, a workaround for zooming a JPG file is to simply switch to a second layout with an extremely large version of the same container field (larger than the window), then the user can scroll around. It works pretty good. I tried this method with a PDF, but FMP does not increase the PDF's resolution in the larger container field. The image is simply an enlarged version of the original - and very grainy. The same PDF in acrobat if ully zoomable, and the resolution improves with each zoom (until the scan resolution is reached).

I'm hoping we can all contribute enough info here to get these projects up and running. Please let everyone know what problems you have solved so far.

Bart

matt1977a

I am just getting started on researching this. From what I've heard - using container fields to hold documents in large volume can cause database integrity problems and slow down the system. I am thinking about using the web viewer tool to integrate the documents into the database so that all the documents are stored on another system but referenced in filemaker records.

Maarten Witberg
using container fields to hold documents in large volume can cause database integrity problems and slow down the system.

You can store images and files as a reference only in a container. This hardly affects filesize (not more than a text field I guess). Storing a file as a reference has the added advantage that you can open the original file in its own app and edit or view it.

I have never heard of database integrity problems when using containers to store full files (instead of the reference). Just that it gets slow and bloated quickly. Perhaps you can give a source of this.

Maarten

Bart57266

I only had partial luck storing references to JPG files in FMPv5, in a hosting (non-FMServer environment), meaning they worked most of the time. We had about 5 users, with one user consistently being the host, and all image files located in a folder within the folder of database files.

However, some users never could see the images, and sometimes the containers would lose their link to the image file. Very frustrating, so I am shying away from file references.

Maybe someone could enlighten me on how well they work in a FMServer v8 environment with FMPv8.5 clients remotely accessing the file. I can store all of the images (there will eventually be tens of thousands of them) on the FMServer machine.

mfif
I'm trying to figure out how we can scan all of our paper files with Readiris, then import the images AND OCR text into FMP for the obvious search benefits.

Unless you want to link those documents to something in an existing FMP database, is there any particular reason you can't scan them, save them as searchable PDF files, and then simply use a desktop search utility (Yahoo Desktop Search, Google Desktop Search, Copernic Desktop Search) or perhaps something more powerful, such as X1 (there's an enterprise version), for searches?

I like the PDF previews I get with Yahoo DS (based on an earlier version of X1), and my OCR (ABBYY FineReader) can save material as PDF while preserving a picture of the original page - very useful when the OCR misreads the text, as you can look at the page in Acrobat - or YDS - and see where the mistakes are.

Peppermint

Hi jsholl80,

If you have to scan a lot of documents take a look to:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000KPZSDY/macintoucwebsite/ref=nosim

“This will automatically create and store a PDF file and hand it over to Adobe Acrobat. Utilizing the OCR functionality of the full version of Acrobat that is included within the ScanSnap S500M”

Best

Bart57266

I'm still working on this project, and still coming up with questions. For example:

When importing a FOLDER of PDF files, and only references to those files, I cannot get the files to import correctly. The import dialog window offers four fields for each files:

Image, File Name, File Path, Image Thumbnail

If I import File Name into the container field, the name does go in, but it is not double-clickable for opening in Acrobat.

If I import File Path into the container field, the name and Acrobat icon go in, but double-clicking results in a "Cannot be found" error.

The only method that results in a double-clickable result is right-clicking the container field and using Insert File (a reference only).

So how can I write a script to import references to a whole folder of PDF files?

Also, if I need to move these PDFs to a different storage location, what techniques can I use now to make that move easier in the future?

Bart

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.