Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×
Wingwalker

ZippScript Plug-In?

Wingwalker

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded a solution that would not open and I get this dialog.

"The zippScript Plug-in is needed to run this solution. Please install it into the Extension folder and try again."

What is a ZippScript Plug-in and what does it do?

Thanks for your help,

James

Wingwalker

Hi Kjoe,

How important is this Plug-In? I ask becasue I see developers here and other places say they do everything they can to stay away from Plug-Ins. What do you think Kjoe?

James

Maarten Witberg

well, read the review I added the link of a minute ago. I don't think you have got a lot of choice when a third-party solution says you need it and quits after that message. I can't say what the plugin is used for in your solution.

No plugins is certainly cleaner, and if you are developing for clients you add hassle, as they or you need to keep track of filemaker upgrades, your upgrades and the plugin upgrades too.

Plugins may not function right or be buggy... currently I can say that the script trigger in Zippscript 2 works fine in a multi user situation on mac OS x using server 8. Installed about two months ago.

maarten

Wingwalker

Hi Kjoe,

I read the information from the review "Here". Is it me or do I get the undertone from Ray, that although he set the record straight, he's not necessarily a big fan of Plug-Ins either.

Did you get that feeling or have I misread Ray's post? I’ve read a lot of his posts but I don’t remember one on Plug-ins or at least one that I remember.

James

Maarten Witberg

Ray wrote:

What *is* true (but not mentioned in the quoted passage) is that it is incumbent on the developer (not FMI) to manage context when using any method (plug-in-based or otherwise) to trigger scripts. This is simple commonsense - it is incumbent on the developer to anticipate the various uses of the code s/he provides and adjust accordingly.

I think he just says be careful what you do, whatever you do. the rest of his post just makes minced meat of the comments I found elsewhere on the internet. All of it is a bit moot since the wiki I found it on has disappeared. I had in fact just deleted the posts, but since you referred to them, I put them back in place. this to hopefully prevent any confusion.

whether Ray is a fan of plugins or not, he'd have to say himself. I'm not going to second-guess anyone. smiley_cool

maarten

• WE NEED YOUR DONATION NOW

WE have helped 100,000's of people for many years, now we need your help!!!! Your Donation is Needed to Keep Us Online! Covid 19 and isolation!!!! Without Your Help We Are Gone After 23  Years!

3% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Images

Important Information

Terms of Use