EagleSa

Tab Control

EagleSa

Hello Everyone.

I know something dont happen natively in FM , so im wondering what workarounds, CF's , Plugins etc can be used to accomplish this task

I have a tab panel with 3 tabs, Details , Table View, New / Edit

The "Table View" tab I need a portal to records in the same table of only the found set. I have tried various CF's to get the calculated MultiKey but its just way to slow concidering the number of records that may be in the found set.

The best way i have found is to use the Copy and Paste method to make the key, its fast even on 15000 recordsets

But since FM doesnt allow scipts to be attached to tabs, and even a invisable box over a non focused tabs. Im stuck with having to put a "Refresh" buttom on the 2nd panel somewhere before the data is shown,

is there a calc,that returns the active tab panel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

AHunter3
The "Table View" tab I need a portal to records in the same table of only the found set.

Not gonna happen. There's no flag or element within the data of a record to indicate that it's part of the found set. As you've discovered, it's possible to script it, but it remains klunky and inelegant.

WHY do you (and every third newbie on this freaking planet, you aren't alone) want a portal to the found set? If you're already in Table View, where the heck would you PUT it? It's not like a Table View record has enough room to accomodate a portal anyhow. And the entire purpose of a found set is to display, natively, not in a portal, the records that match whatever Find or Go to Related Record operation just occurred.

Trying to create a portal to the current found set is SO reinventing the wheel.

EagleSa

Thanks for the reply.

I think I typed it out wrong, but the awnser still seems to be the same, Im not on a layout in "table view" , that just what I happend to name one of the Tabs.

I was just wondering if there was a way to attach a script, CF, calc, etc. in the tab control panel, basically get the stacking order of the tab set. to know if Tab one is on focus, tab 2 etc. or if theres a way to get only the visible FieldIds of a layout.

My guess is I will have to remove tabs 2 and 3 , create a image of the tab and so a script can be attached and shoot it off to a different layout

The purpose of this wasnt to reinvent the wheel, just to display the data i was looking for a little differently,

AHunter3

I would make a phony tab that actually goes to a totally different layout, same native table occurrence, a layout which is set to either List View or Table View, and which doesn't use a portal.

Databasic

Dear EagleSa

Matt Petrowski had a technique of Identifying tabs by using a simple repeating calculation field and using Get(CalculationRepetitionNumber) to identify the tab. Ie you define a repeating calculation with as many repitations as Tabs. Place rep No1 on Tab1, rep No2 on tab2, Rep No3 on tab3 ect.( obviously hiding the rep calculation ) You can then run a script based on the tab No - or actually the calculation repetition number returned. - Hope this helps Cheers

AHunter3

Or, for that matter, you can use Go To Object after naming an object and putting it on the appropriate tab. But having an automated way of selecting which tab to go to, while it may allow you to use tabs, still isn't going to enable the display of a found set in a portal. You need Table View or List View to display a found set and you can't use a portal, or at least not without an additional looping script to loop through the records and gather up their unique IDs.

EagleSa

Thanks for the Replys.

I ended up with just sending the user to a new layout ( list view ) , rather then a different tab in the panel, from there the user can select what filters need applying , and I attached the script to update the multi key and send them to the correct layout.

Important Information

Terms of Use