Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Performing Find in a Calcuation Field

filem

Hi

I'm just having a little trouble performing a Find in a Calcuation Field. No matter what symbols I use (= exact match, "" leteral text etc.) I can 't contrain the find.

Eg. I'm searching for 'Male' and it will give me two results - 'Male' and 'Female'.

There is no problem in an ordinary text field. I get only one result as I should - 'Male'.

Has anyone esle had this probelm?

If there is no break in the word female, you should not be picking it up.

That is if you are not searching by patterncount.

you can try =male in search ....

But just an entry of male in the field should work.

Here's something to try.

Turnoff calculation .... get out of define fields and then go and

redine the field as it was.

Thanks for responding chopper.

I changed the field from a calculation field back to an ordinary text field and the Find works perfectly.

Then I changed the text field back to a calculation field and I get the same problem as before.

Something about the calulation field is causing the problem.

• 4 months later...

I'm having a similar problem. Our database calculates backlog as a number. I want to find all orders with a backlog > 0. The problem is that when I perform the find, there is no filtering and all backlog items, whether 0 or >0 show up. I was able to perform a find for backlog

I'm thinking you really can't perform a find on a calculation field.

As always, any help is appreciated.

The problem is that when I perform the find, there is no filtering and all backlog items, whether 0 or >0 show up.

That's the result you would expect if the calculation result was set to text. Are you sure it's set to number?

The best way to approach this kind of problem is usually to try recreating it in a new file, with just the elements that apply. i.e. Define a calculated number field, add some sample records and perform a Find. As you've described it here, it should work. Then look for differences between the files.

Hey, Cando

I did what you suggest - I recreated the db, fields, layouts, and scripts in a standalone, separate file. I decided to contain two tables of related data in one file as opposed to two tables of related data in separate files. The only difference here is that I only needed one relationship as opposed to separate relationships in the separate files.

Result: works perfectly!

Now what: I believe I need to look carefully at the original relationships or possible combine the two separate files into one with multiple tables.

thanks!

Since it sounds like you're not using FM5/6, make sure your client and host are updated to the latest rev of FM7 or FM8. There are some Find bugs in early versions of FM7 and FM8 with certain configurations.

we have the latest updates installed.

Interesting thing: when I perform a manual find on field B, the find returns the results that meet the find criteria in field A. Field B is a calculation based on field A if that matters.

I have been unable to duplicate what works in the standalone copy I made. I'm going to dupe the table from file 2 as a new table in file 1, then create the correct relationships to see if it works.

Using FM7 client and server, latest versions.

Duped the related fields and data into a second table in the original database and the find works perfectly. It must have something to do with the unstored calc being related in a secondary file over the network (???).

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.