Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Any way to exprt and keep Images without cutting the text?

cigsandalchohol

Hi all,

I currently use Filemaker Pro 8 to access a database through a VPN, however the VPN is not yet currently compatible with Windows Vista which is vital to what I am doing. What I am looking for is a way to export all the records (approx 1200) from filemaker to another format so I can view the records from a Vista based PC. I have tried using PDF and this exports all records, but cuts off the text (where there is 3 pages worth in a large textbox that I usually scroll to read), hence the output is more like a screenshot of each database entry. I have also tried exprting to Excel which does export all the text from each entry, but doesn't seem to be able to export the images which is something I also need. Does anyone out there have a solution for this??? (I considered there may be a way to resize the textbox but I can only view this database).

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart.

There is always a simple solution, and I am always looking so hard for a complicated one that I miss it... Thanks. Will I need another license to use Filemaker on 2 PCs? I will need to be updating my local copy at least once a week so I need to keep it on my XP machine really... I don't suppose there is a way to do it without using filemaker?

I am having trouble with this also, Is there anyway to export to fp7 and not lose any of the formatting. I have tried checking the 'Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data with both 'current layout' options from the drop down box: Moving all fields, but the output is nothing like the original and again misses vitals chunks of information.

Is this just me?

Thanks again.

Well, do it once and you have a "raw" shell of fields and some sample data. Create new BLANK layout in the exported fmpro file, go into layout mode on the original file and the new file, select all and copy layout objects to new blank layout and paste there.

Put that file on the Vista box. For subsequent data dumps, you can import from the raw export file into this file.

Thanks for the responses,

I have got as far as creating a new blank layout in the exported fp7 without any trouble, but on the original database in the view menu 'Layout View' is greyed out? Does this mean I don't have rights to play around with the layout? Is there another way I can export this database... I am finding Filemaker rather awkward at the moment! I'll soldier on.

You mean you can't switch to Layout Mode?

Well, someone must have the "full access" password. If you don't, you'll need the cooperation of whoever does.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.