Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Filemaker DB won't let me enter data!

jms88

One of my FM DBs won't let me enter data. I go into browse mode, try to click a radio button, and nothing happens. Help!

It will, however, let me enter data into fields from a single table. When I go to layout menu (in layout mode) then layout setup, the "show records from" box lists a particular table. I can enter data into fields that are contained within whichever table is selcted in this "show records from" box. I cannot, however, enter data into tables that are in other fields.

Suggestions for getting around this prob?

thanks!!!

aren't there error messages in the fields like "" (the field is from an unrelated table) or (you don't have privileges for that table) ? (this would not show up if the field has checkbox or radio button)

Otherwise the only reason I can think of is that there are no related records to be displayed.

I am wondering about your database structure and what these fields from other tables are for.

maarten

thanks so much for your response!

there's no error message, nothing happens.

I frankly don't know anything about DB structure in filemaker. I created different tables just so that I could put them in different tabs. I haven't set up any relations or anything like that. Could this be causing the problem? Do I have to set up relationships between fields and tables or anything like that to make this work?

You can probably tell that I'm an extreme novice.

Many thanks for your help!

OK assuming you can make do with a flat-file (I can only tell you if you describe what you're trying to build) you can make do with just one table where all the fields are defined. You can put these in one layout or distribute them over several, or as you stated, put them in separate tabs.

You should read the "basic concepts" section of the online helper file to get acquainted with the different basic elements of a database and how they interact: table, record, layout, field.

maarten

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.