jmille44@mac.com

Importing Word to Filemaker Pro8.5 database

jmille44@mac.com

I have about 2000 invoices created in word, that I need to import into filemaker pro 8.5 database. After looking here for a solution, I could not find one that works so far.

The word files are saved as document templates so when I go to save them as text files, it tells me I can't save document templates as anything other than document templates.

Is there anything new in 8.5 that would allow importing the word file info I need? All the invoices are the same format. Are there any plugins that would make this possible or any other solution to get the word doc info imported?

Thanks

Ender

I don't think you'll be able to import the data from those documents, but you may be able to import the files themselves (or a PDF of the files). Which were you hoping to do?

jmille44@mac.com

I was hoping to import the data, just some date info, invoice amount and who the customer is. Hmm, manually having to retype the data will be a pain for sure.

AHunter3

I've avoided Word with great energy and fervor (I absolutely detest it), but I have the vague notion that a Word template, when opened, is supposed to generate a new blank document with the same contents, which can subsequently be saved in any format that Word knows how to save.

And I also have the vague idea that there's some kind of "Word macro virus" that infects a "dot file" which is a template, yes? and that the behavior that it causes is like what you describe. Insofar as the virus works within the framework of Word's own macro language, it's one of the extremely rare cases where a virus can cause some problems under OS X (although the destructive payload only executes in Windows; mucking around with your ability to save something other than a template is kind of a side effect or something?)

If you know all about Word macro viruses and this ain't it, just ignore me, but if it sounds like a possibility, I'd suggest asking around, among folks who know Word well.

jmille44@mac.com

Ok, I have never purchased Virus Software for the mac, but your post made me test your theory. I am the new owner of Symantec Antivirus for the mac. I am kinda hoping I have a virus to fix this problem. Will report back after the scan.

AHunter3

You might try NeoOffice-J, it's a free Java-based substitute for MS Office. One thing it doesn't do is execute macros :)

jmille44@mac.com

Ok, scanned for virus's, and Symantec fount 140 virus, all PC virus's and all containted within my spam junk mail folder.

Word has same issue, I can not save as: document templates as text files or anything other than document templates.

Guess I will be copy paste 2000 old invoices. Takes about 1-2 minutes each so I am looking at 2000 minutes at least if not double to import old crap from word.

Any thinking about using Word for invoices for your company, think again.

AHunter3

Hear hear. Except I'd say "Any thinking about using Word, think again" and leave it at that. Truly awful piece of software.

Did you try NeoOffice/J though?

Ender

I happen to like Word. smiley-tongue-out

Important Information

Terms of Use