Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Barcode scanner input

dturner

I have a barcode scanner hooked up, and it scans in barcodes without a hitch. After scanning the barcode, it sends the numbers and a return to the computer. Is there a way to have a script triggered after entering numbers and the return into a field?

Not without a 3rd party plugin, but the way I did it was have the scanner person click a FlleMaker button that started a script, and the script goes into a global field and Pauses [indefinitely] then starts a loop.

Imagine script has been paused and cursor is in the global field; barcode scanner enters a value and a return character; return character causes script to resume.

What the script loop does is create a new record and set a local field to the value of the global (Situation 1) or go to related record (global to localfield selfjoin relationship) and set a local field to Get(CurrentDate) and another to "Yes" (meaning the item is now available or some such thing). The cursor hasn't been moved, so after doing all that it pauses again [indefinitely] and that's the end of the loop.

So the person weilding the barcode scanner clicks the Start Scanning button once, starts scanning objects, and never has to touch the computer keyboard or mouse again until all the objects have been scanned.

And you don't need a plug-in.

Allow User Abort [off]

Go to Field [Table::Globalfield]

Pause [indefinitely]

Loop

New Record/Request

Set Field [Table::ScannedIDCode, Table::Globalfield]

Set Field [Table::Globalfield, ""]

Pause [indefinitely]

End Loop

or (Second Script, different situation different screen):

Allow User Abort [off]

Go to Field [Table::Globalfield]

Pause [indefinitely]

Loop

Go to Related Record [GlobalToLocal, current layout]

If [Table::Globalfield = Table::ScannedIDCode]

Set Field [Table::Date Returned, Get(CurrentDate)]

Set Field [Table::Available, "Yes"]

End If

Set Field [Table::Globalfield, ""]

Pause [indefinitely]

End Loop

You can actually take it a step further depending upon the type of barcode scanner you have. Most scanners have the ability to send special characters or trigger hot keys that can set off scripts in FMP. I have a couple of solutions where the barcode scans an item and triggers a script that goes to the correct field and stops. The barcode then sends the data and then triggers another script that takes the data and parses it out into a couple of different fields. In the middle the barcode scanner is programmed to pause for a few milliseconds to allow for the computer to catch up. This works very smooth and all happens within milliseconds. I'm pretty sure if you look at your scanner documentation you should be able to set it up to do this. This way there is no need for user interaction; all they have to do is scan the item and the system does the rest. Hope that helps.

Regards,

rsb87

Thanks for the replies. I found a solution that works for me from another thread using zippscript. (I couldn't for the life of me find a search page on this website until I posted the question). But I'd also like to find a way to do what I want without a plugin, so now a have a couple things to try. Thank You

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.