Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

subsummary based on related tables

filemaker66

Hi All.

I am new to the filemaker world and would appreciate any help received.

I have a layout as follows:

Entity

-State/Prov

--Vendor1 Total_Payment

--Vendor2 Total_Payment

--- TOTAL_PAYMENT_PER_STATE

-State/Prov 2

--Vendor Total_Payment

Enitity 2

-State/Prov

--Vendor1 Total_Payment

--Vendor2 Total_Payment

--- TOTAL_PAYMENT_PER_STATE

-State/Prov 2

--Vendor Total_Payment

...and so on

The form layout is using the vendors table which enables me to get the vendor, state/prov, and entity which is then sorted by entity, state/prov. The Total_Payment field is a calculated field in a related table, which displays fine. However when i try to summarize this calculated field into TOTAL_PAYMENT_PER_STATE it doesnt work. I get the last value in the Total_Payment field, not a running total per state as expected.

I have the Entity field in its own sub summary, State/Prov in its own, and TOTAL_PAYMENT_PER_STATE its own. The last one being sorted by State/Prov as well.

again any tips/ideas would be most appreciated. I am using filemaker 7

Barring the arrival of someone with better mind-reading skills than I have, we're going to need more information.

Are Entities 1 and 2 two separate records (I hope)?

What tables are in use? What is the formula for Total_Payment, what table is it in, and what field in that table is linked to what field in Vendors through what kind of relationship?

What is the exact field def of TOTAL_PAYMENT_PER_STATE?

If (as I gather) you're on a subsummary report layout, what table is IT in, what is the subsummary part definition for the part where you have the Entity field and the TOTAL_PAYMENT_PER_STATE field?

Thanks For replying to my post

There are two tables in play. Vendors and Payments. Vendors contains the vendor name, vendor state/prov and the entity. The tables are linked via an entity Id. The subsummary report layout is based on the Vendors table. The subform part definition of the entity is sorted by entity. The subform part definition of the state/prov is the the vendor stateprov. The sub summary part of the TOTAL_PAYMENT_PER_STATE is sorted by stateprov.

I have since been able to make it work by putting a calculated field in vendors table which = the calculated field in the payments table and then adding the summary field in the Vendor table to sum the newly added calculated field in the vendors table.

The summarizing field must be in the same table as the part definition subsummary sorting field? Is this always the case?

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.