Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Open URL

captaingofast

In previous versions of Filemaker I could do an Open URL script step and have the link target the current browser. 8.5 Advanced insists on spawning a new browser. Is there a way to circumvent that?

Is that a hard to answer question? Perhaps if I explain better.

I have a municipal web site running on one server and a separate FM database (on another web server) that is used for facility schedules. On my FM database web layouts I have 'Open URL' links leading to standard HTML pages that exist outside the FM database, i.e. a link to jump to our home page.

With FM6 Unlimited, clicking a link on a FM generated web page worked fine. The user stayed in teh same broswer session. With FM v8.5 Advanced a new browser session occurs every time. I don't want the browser spawning to happen. It causes pop-up issues and also confuses the user. Is there a way to force it to use the existing browser session?

I suspect it is a Windows setting that does it. The FileMaker Help says:

"Note FileMaker Pro uses the preferences stored in the Windows system file URL.DLL to determine the application to handle the URL. The URL is then passed to ShellExecute for execution."

So it may be best to follow up what preferences are stored in the URL.DLL file.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.