Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

adding total hours.

Diedora

Hi guys, I've been trying to do this for a while but can't figure it out.

I have 2 databases

First database has 3 fields "Name" "Month" "Total Hours"

Second database has 3 fields "Name" Month" "Total Hours" "Total hours a year" "Percentage of hours a year"

These 2 have a relation ship between name & month. Ill give you an example of the results i'm looking for.

Database 2

John (name) sep06 (month) 5 (total hours) 8 (total hours a year) 80%

bob (name) oct06 (month) 2 (total hours) 2 (total hours a year) 20 %

John (name) oct06 (month) 3 (total hours) 8 (total hours a year) 80 %

So the calculation i cant figure out is how do i get a calculation to find the names in the record that are same and add the total hours, and the second is can i make a calculation to add all of the hours and give a percentage of the hours that person has done...

Thank you in advance, hope someone can help...

First database has 3 fields "Name" "Month" "Total Hours"

Second database has 3 fields "Name" Month" "Total Hours" "Total hours a year" "Percentage of hours a year"

So the second database has all of the information that's in the first database?

:confused:

So what do you need the first database at all for?

And I don't understand at all what you're trying to do here, sorry.

So the second database has all of the information that's in the first database?

:confused:

So what do you need the first database at all for?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I’m so bad at explaining stuff, ok ill try to explain better.

Basically we have a database which has training records of users.

I’ve already created a database with all staff info, contact and training. The problem is; now the management want a report at the end of the month and want to know how many hours a person has trained in the last month, how many hours in the financial year and the percentage of the training they have done for the year.

So I already have a database with the users and what trainings they have done. So I though if I was the create a second database which could grab this info from the first database and populate the fields with the info that management wanted.

So the 1st calculation I need is; go though a database and find the same name in lets say field 1 and calculate the total.

The 2nd calculation is; add the total hours (lets say field 2) in the hole database and then give me the percentage of what the user has done compared to the staff.

I hope this helps, I’m not very good at explaining stuff, and thank you for replying.

I think what you need is ONE TABLE which is PERSONNEL. Each person is one and only one record in PERSONNEL. No duplicates.

Then you have a related table, TRAINING. Each person may have 0 records, or 23 records, or 16929 records, depending on how many training events they went to. They are related by same unique ID field (Personnel ID) connecting the tables.

In Personnel, then, all you need is Sum(Training::Training Hours) and there's your answer.

Important Information

Terms of Use