Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Home directory as file path for attachment in Send Mail script step

Norma_Snockurs

This one stumped me a while back and I found a workaround but it's reared it's ugly head again;

I have a script that prints a PDF of an order form and saves it to the /Users/Shared directory of any FM client Mac on our FM Server 7 network - this is never done on the Windows clients. It seems to work eliably regardless of the name of the boot directory's volume (normally 'Macintosh HD' but there are a handful of differently named boot drives).

Another script sends an email to the customer and attaches the PDF order form. All of this works fine but I cannot seem to set the file path for the PDF attachment in the Send Mail script step to the generic OS X /Users virtual file path i.e. filemac:/Users/Shared

I have tried all possible variations on the path so that there is only ever one path to the attachment but I am stuck using a list of paths like this:

filemac:/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/emailorder.pdf

filemac://Users/Shared/emailorder.pdf

Changing the names of the drives is not really an option and anyway why should I have to consider that when the 'Print' script step directly before the 'Send Mail' one quite happily saves the PDF to a /Users/Shared directory regardless of the volume name?

doesn't seem to work either.

I am currently using FMP 8.5 Advanced but the issue is the same in v7 also.

Any ideas?

I would start with the function Get(DesktopPath) and see if it's capabilities don't answer your questions to the point that elaboration is unnecessary. (You pretty obviously know your way around in FileMaker).

Thanks AH that's fixed it. If only I had time to read the FM documentation enough times to commit it all to memory

Opps!

I've not so far had a requirement to use variables in file paths so it wasn't the first thing that came to mind.

Important Information

Terms of Use