Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Merging data from two files into a third

jlkfour

Here I go again...

I now have 2 files "Brthday" and "LoanOrig" they both have a customer number field in common.

Here's what I need to do... I want to make sure customer number from "Brthday" matches the customer number in "LoanOrig" and then take data from each of the files and put them in a third file called "Merge."

Can anyone give me a hint

thanks

jlkfour

jlkfour

I have moved your post to its own thread; your post did not really have any relation to the thread you had appended it to.

also please update your profile so to show the filemaker version(s) you use.

kjoe

OK by "merge" do you mean relate the two files through the merge file, or do you mean integrate so that from two files, only one remains?

And if you mean relational,

- do you wish to retain a multifile setup or can all tables be put into one file?

- what about the kind of relationship: is this one to many (birthdate to loanorig) or one to one (that would kind of make the relational setup moot). So what's the bigger picture here?

kjoe

kjoe et al

Great questions

Here's what I have... big picture...

I am exporting data from a proproiatary system that only allows me to pull certain information at a time. For example. I can get the origional balance of a loan and the customer's name but to get the customer's address and phone I have to pull different data. The things in common are names which could be dups and the Customer Number which will always be the same unique for each customer.

Now I have set up two files, one with the Loan Info(A) and the other with the Address(B) and personal information. I want to combine those into one file... but I need to keep the seperate files (A&B) since they will be updated as we get more customers. If I can match the customer number from A to B I know it'll be the same custome information which I want to automatically put data from both (A&B) into file C. Both files have 3109 records... so file C should have 3109 records.

I hope this helps!

Now I have set up two files, one with the Loan Info(A) and the other with the Address(B) and personal information.

makes perfect sense

I want to combine those into one file...

that does not make sense to me. Will one client have one and only one loan contract at any one time? what if he wants to get a second one and your rates have changed? and where will you store payments made into the loan?

The only reason I can think of making a "third" file (or table) is when you have a many to many relationship - in your case that would mean one customer can have many loans and one loan can be linked to many customers. This doesn't make sense to me from the point of view of the type of data. (btw the technique is called a 'join file" or "join table".)

but I need to keep the seperate files (A&B) since they will be updated as we get more customers.

That makes perfect sense. If you have customer ID's in the loan info, you can view loan info directly in the customer file. from any loan the customer has, through a portal.

So to sum up, I don't understand why you want to create the third file.

Am I missing your point?

Maarten

Martin

No point missed... I guess I don't need a third file... at the time it made sense.

What I really need to do is have one place where I can combine some records from "File A" and some from "File B" into one place to use for marketing. I thought of a third file because I will be adding and updating the A and B files from the export of the "other" software.

The customer number will always be unique to a customer. We haven't had a client with 2 loans. If we refi a loan the number (last digit of the customer number changes from a 1 to a 2 or 3 or 4 depending on the number of refi's)

I won't be tracking payments or interest rates... I am just pulling the data so we can do some proactive marketing.

I am just pulling the data so we can do some proactive marketing

OK your marketing actions (whatever they are) can be stored in a third file or table; especially when there's followup (send a letter then call them up) and you want to keep track of that. Simply store the customer ID in the record and you can view both customer info and loan info in the marketing action record.

I suppose you want to create found sets of customers that match certain criteria in their loan... you can perform searches on related fields.

maarten

scrap that last post. I mean it may be feasible, but what kind of proactive marketing do you mean... it could be better to make a separate table with marketing actions... then create a join file as described above to link customers to marketing actions since this time, it may be possible that one customer can belong to many marketing actions and vice versa, but you know, I'm sort of blindly suggesting options here.

maarten

Important Information

Terms of Use