Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Value list calc needed for a runtime solution (FM8)

wf7a

Howdy. Don't get up.

Here's the goal: what I want end users to be able to do (with their runtime solution) is select an aircraft's tail number (Tail_Number) from a value list and and have its model number auto-fill the Model_Number field. The problem is, the only way I can figure out how to do that is to have a "hard-coded" Case function such as this:

Case (Tail_Number = "N908FX"; "ATR42")

...so that when N908FX is selected from a value list, ATR42 auto-fills the Model_Number field...which won't work for runtime solutions since users can't get into the guts of FileMaker to add additional Case statements.

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton in advance for your help!

Oops! Forgot to add that the users will need to have the ability to input new tail numbers and their corresponding model numbers in their runtime solutions.

This is easy to do if you have a table for your Planes (or whatever these tail numbers are for. Donkeys?) Just relate the Tail Number field in your current table to the Tail number in the Plane table. If the Model Number is a field in Plane, then you can just show the related Model Number field on your layout. If for some reason you need to have an actual copy of the Model Number (instead of just using the related Model Number), you can define a Text field with an auto-enter Lookup to pull the related Model Number when the Tail Number gets populated.

(Sorry for not responding earlier, Ender; I had to go out of town on a family matter.)

I'll give your suggestion a shot. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!

Cheers,

Rich

Important Information

Terms of Use