Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Accessing Server 5.0 via Filemaker 6

filemaker5

I'm able to access all files open on my Filemaker Pro Server version 5.0v3 on my ibook running Mac OS 9, "REMOTELY" from Filemaker Pro 6 on my PowerBook running Mac OS 10.4.7 ONLY by TCP/IP. There isn't even any other option in the Preferences with Version 6. How can I connect to the Server if I don't have it online, only connect Built-in Ethernet. I'm able to do this running Filemaker Pro 5. I just needed to set versions 5 Preferences to AppleTalk.

What OS is the FileMaker Server running on? I'm pretty sure only the OS 9 version of Server will serve up files via AppleTalk.

EDIT: Umm yeah, I did pass reading comprehension in elementary school. ::slaps head::

The OS X version of plain-vanilla FileMaker Pro doesn't do AppleTalk either. The only possibility for an AppleTalk-based FmPro network is one composed entirely of OS 9 computers, both FmServer and FmPro. If you were previously using FileMaker 5.0, you were by definition not running it in OS X natively. (The first OS X native version was 5.5). Running FmPro 5.0 in the Classic environment is still running it in OS 9, it's just OS 9 as a process within OS X.

Oh, and you aren't supposed to ever open the file if you don't have it online. Nor should your server have file sharing on to begin with.

What, specifically, are you trying to do, and why?

Actually, I can see what you're trying to do. You shouldn't be trying to do that. If you want to open one of those files in non-guest mode / not served up by Server, physically walk over to the server machine, shut down FileMaker Server, and then double-click the file itself. If you don't have plain-vanilla FileMaker Pro installed there, mount the hard disk of your PowerBook on the Server's Desktop (it's OK for the Server box to be a client of some other computer's file sharing) and then the file will open using the remote computer's copy of FileMaker Pro.

Are you doing this in order to change Access Privileges? There's not much else you need to have solitary non-served file access for under FileMaker 6.

Open Remote command from File menu will work

When you choose this it will show all host machines on the network.

At work we have the server FM 5.0v3 on Mac OS /9 and have machines that vary from OS / 8.5 to 10.4.x From the

bondi blue I-mac to mac minis with dou-core processors.

None of the clients have any problems accessing the server.

I see I'm not the only one who isn't doing reading comprehension in this thread particularly well... ;)

The OP said it works fine using TCP/IP protocol but wanted to know how to do it using AppleTalk. (And also seemed to have confused AppleTalk as FileMaker network with "opening an unshared file over AFS").

No version of FileMaker under 10.x supports AppleTalk as a FileMaker-network protocol. Nor should the OP be opening files on the FmServer box from a different computer when they are not being hosted at all.

let me try and make it clearer:

Filemaker Pro Srver 5.0v3 has 3 options for Network Protocol..

1. TCP/IP

2. AppleTalk

3. Both TCP/IP and AppleTalk.

It's set and has always been set at #3. When I have the server at my busness connected to all the other computers via EitherNet I can open all Filemaker Files in the Servers Folder. At the business the server has its own static IP address as do all the computers.

Some times I bring that server home where there is no static IP address but its connect also with 2 other computers via EitherNet. One of the computers, running Filemaker 5 on OS 9 Classic, has to have the Filemaker Preference Network Protocol set to AplleTalk to connect with the server and it does connect. I don't need to do anything else. No changes to the Server just changing the setting on the guest from TCP/IP to AppleTalk and restart Filemaker. The other computer, a Powerbook, running Filemaker 6 with OS 10.4.7 will not connect. When I go to the same Preference option with version 6 it only has TCP/IP as an option. There is no Apple Talk, or any other option. I'm just trying to access those files on the Server like the other computer does.

That does clarify things quite a bit, thanks.

You could put a copy of FileMaker 5 on your 10.4 PowerBook. (Or, for that matter, a Classic version of FileMaker 6). You would run either of those in the Classic environment on your Powerbook. You could therefore use AppleTalk as your network protocol to be a guest of the Server.

There is no means for using OSX-Native FileMaker to open a hosted file served up via AppleTalk. FileMaker-on-OSX is strictly TCP/IP.

I see I'm not the only one who isn't doing reading comprehension in this thread particularly well... ;)

No version of FileMaker under 10.x supports AppleTalk as a FileMaker-network protocol. .............

Where can I get a version of that 10.x Filemaker?

Back at you ;)

When I go to the same Preference option with version 6 it only has TCP/IP as an option. There is no Apple Talk, or any other option.

Do you have Apple Talk turned on on the laptop running 10.4.7?

You have to enable it from Utilities/Directory Access. If it isn't enabled there then turning it on via 'Make Apple Talk Active' in System Preferences/Network probably won't work.

Bottom line is FM runs much better on tcp/ip than it does on AppleTalk

As I said we run all types os Apple machines on FM network and None of them are set to Apple Talk.

Yes, AppleTalk is on. I even tried quiting the server and open all the files with FileMaker Pro version 5 on the server machine. Not using Filemaker Pro server 5 having all the sharing options set proper, still won't work. It just doesn't seem right. we're simply talking about hosting files with Version 5.0 and reading them from a version 6 guest. It has to do with OS9 host with an OS10 guest. I Think

trust me my friend ....forget the Apple talk and use the tcp/ip protocol

As I said at work there is a server on OS/9 Classic serving over 80 files to over 20 client machines who all use Mac OS versions 8.5 thruogh 10.4

we even have a few PC's that link into the server. all using tcp/ip

All you need is a netgear or a linksys router and set each machine with ip addresses

I.E.

192.168.0.1 - Router

192.168.0.2 - Server Mac

192.168.0.3 - Mac 2

192.168.0.10 - Mac 10 and so on

All connected with either Category 5 wire or Wirelss Remotes (If Routuer has wireless ability)

Never a problem connecting

The OP's issue with TCP/IP is that the OP takes the Server (it's a laptop) home where it obtains a non-static IP address.

If it were AppleTalk, the other computer at home would "just worK", hit "Remote Hosts" and voíla, there's the file(s).

Because it is TCP/IP, the OP needs to know the IP of the server, which gets assigned new with every hookup/logon. Such is the fate of laptops and home-based non-static IP addresses.

Now me, I would have already installed FruitMenu (an OS X add-on) so that my host computer's assigned IP would be highly visible at the top of the Apple Menu. And from the guest computer I would then go Open, Host, Specify, and type in that IP.

But not every OSX user likes FruitMenu: it's an Unsanity "haxie" dependent on Unsanity's proprietary APE format, and some folks think APE makes the OSX platform less stable. (Not so in my experience). Still, I'm sure there are other means of easily snagging the currently assigned nonstatic IP address, both 3rd party and otherwise.

The OP keeps drilling at the idea of using AppleTalk as a FileMaker networking protocol. Just ain't gonna happen with any OSX native FileMaker build. But yeah, it is unduly maligned. AppleTalk was "zeroconf" before "zeroconf" was a buzzword. I miss classic orthodox AppleTalk and I wish Apple still installed it as an option in 10.4.x (it doesn't, it's dead, the only AppleTalk still in existence in Tiger is ASIP).

The OP's issue with TCP/IP is that the OP takes the Server (it's a laptop) home where it obtains a non-static IP address.

Right I get it now... Why would you carry the server home when you can connect to it from home? Why put the server on a laptop?

Because it is TCP/IP, the OP needs to know the IP of the server, which gets assigned new with every hookup/logon. Such is the fate of laptops and home-based non-static IP addresses.

If FileMaker5 would set up both home and business as described,

using tcp/ip then

hit "Remote Hosts" and voíla, there's the file(s).

At the business the network should be setup as follows

All FileMaker Protocols set to tcp/ip

Internet Hi-speed modem to a netgear router all machines connected to the router whether it's cat5 wire or wireless remote.

The router is always designated as ip address

All machines network prefernces should have static IP address starting

at 192.168.0.2 Server should be first. see my last post. , each machine should be unique.

In the router settings and or firewall settings open port 5003 which is designated for FileMaker.

At Home do the same setup only the server is not needed there.

Start your home computers that need to connect with higher IPs

i.e. 192.168.0.30 and up

At work there is no problem connect to the server it's either open host or

scripted open command that do the same.

At home withthe internet open , open the FileMaker Client and Open Remote and specify the IP of the Cable Modem at work and "Viola the files are listed"

Connecting over the internet maybe slower , but there is absolutly no need to move your server to home and then back to the business the next day.

Especially on a laptop.

I do this all the time and you can even define fields and modify layouts remotely from home. So don't get hung up on AppleTalk... There must be a reason why Apple and FileMaker are doing away with it!

That's sound advice, filemaker5, I'd have to agree with what chopper is saying here. Carting around your server exposes your database to a lot more risks than letting it stay put. (Sure hope you do your backups religiously).

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.