Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

hyperlink to a pdf in FM 5.5?

atlantis

Hey there,

does anyone know if Filemaker 5.5 pro would allow me to link to external pdf files? Something like a hyperlink to another file on the pc as possible in word?

What I'm trying to do: to every record in the database corresponds an application and a final document. Each of which will be scanned and is available as a pdf. The pdfs could be saved somewhere on the pc (they are big), but it would be great to access them and be able to open them with one click from the database. Is this possible?

Thanks so much!

atlantis

Well, its been a while since I've worked with version 5.5 or 6.0 but it is definately possible. What you want to do is use a feature called Send Message. In later versions of FM it is called Send Event. In either case I think the name that our friends at FMI chose for this feature is really poor. It obscures its true purpose. It should have been named Send Command or Open ExternalApplication or something along those lines.

I can't give you the exact syntax for version 5.5 but basically to open a PDF file located on the C: drive you would do something like this:

Send Message ["c:\folder\folder\folder\filename.pdf"]

If you want to make it more dynamic by pulling the path and file name from fields in Filemaker then do something like this:

Send Message [PathField & "\" & FileNameField & ".pdf"]

If you run into trouble write back with your specifics and we'll see what we can do.

Hi Ted,

thanks so much for your reply!

It's great to know that at least there should be a way to make it work! smiley-wink (although I haven't quite figured it out yet...)

I did manage to create a script that will open a pdf document from outside the database. For now it's the same pdf document that opens for all records in the db.

the tricky part now is to get it to open a different pdf for each record. (there are names in the record, the pdf would have the same name, not sure yet, how to get that working.)

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Atlantis

Hi again,

With your help i got a lot closer to linking the pdf's to my records, just the last bit, I can't get it to work. Maybe I'm missing a little detail:

Sooo, with a new script created, I was able to link to a pdf file directly, with a button in fm. This is always the same pdf though, so not as needed, a different pdf for each record.

I created an extra field to have the path to the folder where all the pdfs are stored is in, and copy in the first name and last name in the record. So for each record I have one field that contains the entire path to the pdf for this specific record.

When I try to enter this in the script, it's not working.

When I selected the pdf file (which then is the same for all records) while editing the script, the script contains the type of file (pdf). When I make the script select the path from the field value, the file type says "unknown".

When performing the script, I get the error message "unknown could not be found and is required to complete this operation".

I tried another way, by creating a button - when going to "specify button", a list of all kind of commands comes up. "Sending message" is in one of the last categories in "miscelaneous", but unfortunately it's one of the few ones in a lighter colour - I can't select it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Any hints would be very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Atlantis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

thanks so much for your help again!

Just for the record in case anyone else was looking for similar things - in the end there was a way to do it:

I added a new field to the database, and defined it as a container field. For each record i can add the pdf link by right clicking in the field in browse mode, and choosing "insert object". (also choose "link" and "display as icon")

It's a bit more of a hassle as I have to choose the file to insert manually, but anyways - it works!

best regards,

Atlantis

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.