Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Oh dear

Maarten Witberg

I can't access textfields in a leading grand summary... I'm 100% sure the fields are not locked. It's in a new layout I'm making. Does this smell of file corruption (iow, should I track back to a backup and redo my additions)?

kjoe

PS problem disappeared when I made a new layout with the same elements. Still the question remains....

It's a problem that is related to list view. In form view, I can access the fields in the leading grand. In list view, I can't. Strangely, in a trailing grand summary there is no difference, I can access the fields in any view.

Why is this? :confused:

maarten

PS something to do with the fact that a layout can only show values from or related to one record and in list view it shows the values for the top record in the leading and the last record in the trailing summary? still does not make a whole lot of sense. The related fields are all from the same parent. Plus it's the same for fields that belong to the table.

PS2 a testerfile works fine.............:confused::confused:

OK I can work around this by using a header in the layout instead of a leading grand summary, the fields may be accessed then. But since a header won't slide up (it's an invoice letter with user editable text fields) I'll have to switch back to the layout with the leading grand summary for printing.

Messy and I don't feel good about this. I'm pretty sure I ruled out any silly mistakes such as fields overlapping part boundaries. Any suggestions welcome.

maarten

Yep. the layout shows line items for an invoice. With adress fields and some personalizeable text fields in the leading and trailing grand summary. So the user can edit some predefined standard text saying we did work and now you pay,... Should be pretty straightforward right?

Can you put those same fields in a different section (thus giving you data entry access) and set them to not print and to shrink the enclosing part (Sliding/Printing)? Would that save you from having to have a duplicate layout just to print?

The only part left is the header, but that one won't slide. Since the main part is line items, it would look kind of stupid to see the same letter paragraphs appear over and over. Id go with the duplicate layout with header for data entry if it weren't for the fact that a tester works just fine, for parent fields also. So either there's something wrong with my file or I'm overlooking something but I'm really stumped as to what. I've tried using a different TO for the same table, even made a new TO, all with no success.

If I do the same setup in this solution, only from a different set of tables, there's no problem.

Following the corruption hunch, my previous three backups have the same problem for this table. Going to check the backup that's on my server at work tomorrow morning... if it is corruption that's three days of developing down the hatch at least. Urgh.

thanks for your help...if you have anything up your sleeve I'd really appreciate it.

maarten

kjoe, what the heck is going on over there? I turn my back for 5 minutes and you go trying to use the same layout for data entry as for printing? Haven't you learned anything from our endless discussions about user interfaces? And who every heard of trying to use a summary part for data entry anyway?

Some days I don't know why I bother.Broke my heart!

My condolences. Print out your field defs and scripts.

A little file corruption can sure ruin your whole day. :(

Any idea how it got in? Did you crash during sorting during development or anything like that?

EDIT:

Before you give up on the existing file, take the field totally off the layout, exit Layout Mode, then go back in and start from scratch. I can't count the number of times I've done something wrong in a minor way and stared it dead in the face for ridiculously long times and just not seen it. Sometimes it's quicker to try that function (whatever it is) from scratch.

Allan, there were no crashes or anything, everything was hunky-dory... and everything else still is also, I'm not experiencing any degrading...

Ender, yes I know, sorry to break your heart. Only I'm trying to make this thing look as lettery as possible to the casual observer (who won't frown when he hits the umpteenth "this field can not be modified" when clicking in a line item field). But since it's possible to use a summary part for data entry, and since it's all part of a script to create a letter, I didn't realise it would be forbidden to do so. :D

Yes I can use a portal view for line items, in a compose letter layout, then switch to the thing I've been working on only to print, and maybe I will if I'm certain my file is OK (how can I ever be?) or if I can solve the riddle why it works in some instances and not in others.

thanks guys

Maarten

PS Allan, saw your edit. Going to do that first thing, only now it's midnight and I'm beat. g'night all and thanks again. :)

...Before you give up on the existing file...

no luck... better safe than sorry, right...so I tracked back. I had mostly been scripting so that was just a matter of copy-pasting scripts into the backup. and the odd field definition and the odd TO and the odd layout tweak and,... :P

kjoe

Hey Maarten,

What’s in the water over there in the Nederland’s? Oh, you’re not drinking water? Ok, then that explains it.Beer's on me!

Ender Said: Haven't you learned anything from our endless discussions about user interfaces? And who every heard of trying to use a summary part for data entry anyway?

This is the 2nd time in so many weeks that I’m in agreement with Mike-of-Ender!smiley-surprised But what are you thinking? Mike you really didn't turn your back on Kjoe for 5 minutes did you?

Maarten I must tell you, ever since you changed your avatar to a Vulture, you’ve just been going right down the preverbal tubes my friend. Why not change your avatar to a fish at least then you could consult your Fairy Codmother!smiley-wink

Harry

It all seemed just perfectly logical when I was making it (it couldn't have been the beer, I have been drinking nothing but tea honest Angel with Grin! ). And the thing is, no one would ever have noticed had I not run into that silly glitch which, incidentally, reared its ugly head in my reconstructed version also and which I felt compelled to share with you guys. So 1) glitch or no, I am of course now using an intermediate layout for user editing of the letter texts like a good boy... 2) I'm not going to retrack again and will balance the edge of that volcano saying, the same corruption will not come up twice, it must be something else. What it is, well you tell me. 3) I am really pleased with myself about this boilerplate-mergefield-hybrid I made up using

set field [LetterPart1 ; Evaluate (MyTable::gBoilerplate1)]

which allows you to use standard text and dynamic fields and still allow the user to edit the text (and reset to the default if he so wishes). And (later on) add functionality to allow power users to edit the boilerplate (something with a value list of available fields or something). Probably invented a zillion times elsewhere but hey, I'm the first who told me.

Fairy codmother indeed. I must say it's a little fishy that you're always agreeing with Ender, since he so seldom agrees with you! (with the possible exception that he agrees with you if you agree with him. which leads to an infinite regress and I think that's loopy) :D

Maarten

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.