Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Portal and Table Occurences

amears1

Hopefully I haven't missed this thread somewhere, but here is the problem I am having.

I have a contacts database that contains an account table with a unique id which has a relationship to a separate asset table. I then have a table occurence of the account table which has a relationship with a separate equipment table.

I have a layout for the accounts record and then two portals, one displaying the assets and one displaying the equipment. The assets displays fine because it directly links to the main account table; however the equipment portal won't display at all. I am assuming this is because it is linked to a table occurence of the accounts table.

How do you work around this?

You didn't specify the fields that link the second table occurrence of Account to the Equipment table, nor did you say what the second table occurrence of Account is, or why you're using a separate table occurrence in the first place.

You either have a good reason for the second table occurrence of Account or you don't.

Example of good reason for separate table occurrence of Account: Suppose Assets are linked to equipment, and from the vantage point of Equipment you didn't want to reference Account back through the path Equipment to Asset then Asset to Account, you wanted to reference Account info via a different relationship. I can relate to that. I have a database that has Jobs which have Clients, and the Jobs also have Purchase Orders which involve purchasing from Vendors who are also Clients but not the same Clients. So I have a second TO of the Clients table called "Vendors".

Anyhow, if you don't have a good compelling reason for the second table occurrence, I'd nuke it and establish your relationship between the original native table occurrence of Account and Equipment.

If, however, you need the second TO of Account, you also need a second TO of Equipment, let's call it AccountEquipment, and that lets you establish a relationship between Account and AccountEquipment which, of course, contains the same records as Equipment and therefore should show you what you want to see.

Or, alternatively, you could change the native TO of the layout from "Account" to "Account Second TO" and then create a second TO for the Asset table, linking Unique ID in Account Second TO to Acct Unique ID in Asset.

Thanks for the response.

The problem I was having was that some of the accounts may have assets but not equipment, so I couldn't reference the accounts through the second table, because there wasn't anything in the table.

I ended up modifying my table relationships. Instead of having a second occurence of accounts I created separate occurences of the assets and equipment table which can link to other tables. In the end it worked.

Thanks

Important Information

Terms of Use