Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Layout / Navigation

tjmitchell

I'm developing a legal database, that will also act as a document library. I'm trying to develop some type of simple navigation. One thing I'm contemplating is running folders along the left panel that can be expanded to show the documents inside.

Anyone have any experience doing this with portal records? Does this make sense? Just looking for some advice.

Are you saying you want to have a portal, and each portal row will have an icon at far left that looks like a folder, and clicking on that folder icon will make the actual document open?

That's doable but I'm not sure that's what you meant.

If you use

go to field ["YourContainer"; select/perform]

the document that is placed inside the container (using insert file) will open using its default application.

You can also put (links to) scanned pages as an image into the same containerfield, and you'll be able to view them from within Filemaker (simply use a larger container). If you have a multipage document scanned, you can import that as folder and opt to import thumbnails (along with the original-size image).

Maarten

Kind of - what I'm looking for is something like windows explore view. The problem is the document count under any given folder isn't static.

Am I making any more sense? Thank you for your efforts!

I don't know what windows explore view is, I hardly ever use windows. And I'm not sure what you mean by "document count under any given folder isn't static" (I'd say it can be if you want it to). Can you post a screen view?

Maarten.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.