Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Can't Delete Records

herewecallyou

Hi,

I have run into this problem once before. I created a record but then all the information in the record disappeared. When I perform a find for the record it comes up but it is blank. I tried re-entering the information but the same problem occured and now I have three blank records that all have the same information. If I delete the records and then perform the find they return. Is there a way for me to permanently delete the records? Curiously I can delete linked records in other tables but not the three records in this table.

Sounds like file corruption, but let's rule other stuff out first.

Are you entering the data into fields that belong to the native table associated with the layout, or are you entering data into portals and/or fields that are placed on the layout but which constitute related data in other tables / table occurrences?

Are any of the fields global fields?

Are you the sole user or is this a multi-user database? And if it's multi-user, are you a guest of the host/server?

Not to be insulting, but is there any conceivable possibility that you did all that data entry in Find Mode instead of Browse Mode?

Is there any lookup, auto-enter calc, or script anywhere that under any circumstance is designed to blank the relevant fields? Such as a Duplicate Record script that knocks the data out of a lot of fields after duplicating or something like that?

Sounds like file corruption, but let's rule other stuff out first.

Are you entering the data into fields that belong to the native table associated with the layout, or are you entering data into portals and/or fields that are placed on the layout but which constitute related data in other tables / table occurrences?

Are any of the fields global fields?

Are you the sole user or is this a multi-user database? And if it's multi-user, are you a guest of the host/server?

Not to be insulting, but is there any conceivable possibility that you did all that data entry in Find Mode instead of Browse Mode?

Is there any lookup, auto-enter calc, or script anywhere that under any circumstance is designed to blank the relevant fields? Such as a Duplicate Record script that knocks the data out of a lot of fields after duplicating or something like that?

Thanks for the speedy reply I really appreciate it!

To answer your questions:

I am only working in the table native to this layout.

None of the fields are global.

The database is mulit-user, I am the host. Also, I am sharing the file over a wireless network that from time to time will crash or drop the signal causing the file itself to crash. This happened about a half an hour before the above problem occured.

I know I have entered data into records, thinking I was in browse mode, only to discover I was in find mode, before. This situation is different. If I try and find these records they are there (it says three found records on the side) but all of the fields are blank. For example if I perform a find for the "customer number" (one of the fields) it will bring up all three records, but all three do not contain any information.

I do not have scripts, calcs, or lookups that blank any of the fields.

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Thanks again.

I hate to say "It sucks to be you" but this doesn't sound good.

FileMaker really does not behave well in a multi-user environment when the host has file sharing turned on. People do it informally all the time with no ill effects, kind of the same way people smoke Camels with no ill effects, but the odds recommend against doing it on a regular basis. And, like cigarettes, it causes file cancer.

With FileMaker server, guests crashing doesn't normally do damage, but plain old FileMaker Pro as host is quite a bit more vulnerable. In particular, if a SORT was in progress at the time of one of those crashes, your file may be hosed.

QUESTION: what do these records look like in a list view with other (non-blank) records? If you format the layout with (let's say) white fields against a pale grey background, do the empty fields show up white, or just plain missing?

Can you click into the fields and add data after the fact, or does it disappear as well?

Is there a dnager if the data is entered in the portal fields? On one or two occasions, I have also "lost" data entered in the portal fields, so I back-up often.

But, is it safe to enter in the portalfields or should I always use the original data fields?

Of course, the portal data fields are more convienent and is the reason I have them.

Entering data into portal fields is no more delicate or vulnerable than entering in layout-native fields.

Crashing in browse mode or find mode is usually not particularly harmful (FmPro will count its fingers and toes next time file is opened). Crashing during a sort can be lethal. Crashing during a Replace or a script that is writing a lot of data to a lot of records can be unfortunate too. Crashing while deleting a found set is something I've also found to be bad news. And on rare occasions crashing in Layout Mode can corrupt the layout (but usually not anything else, just that one layout). Crashing during the "updating records" after modifying a calc field in Field Definitions is surprisingly benign most of the time (FileMaker will probaby start over with recalculating the record values next time you open the file, but unless it crashes yet again you're probably going to be OK).

The pernicious stuff.... you don't know it's happened because your file appears to work until something weird happens and you examine things and find little pockets of weirdness. That's totally not fun because it can be so hard to find out when the problem first appeared, and you may have improved/modified the file a lot since the last truly good backup. File sharing causes this kind of file cancer, and to a lesser extent I've seen volume indexing and virus scanning cause it too. Things like a report script not printing the expected info and you go into the ScriptMaker and find a Set Field command where the field name looks like gibberish and furthermore bleeds down into the next line. Or a list view where several records show up twice (including the actual recordID, and if you change a field value in one both copies of the record update). Or a list view where the found set is reported as being greater than the total no. of records, and when you drag the bar past a certain point FileMaker crashes. Or odd error dialogs pop up with no text and empty buttons none of which do anything when you click them, and you have to force-quit FileMaker to escape them. Or list views where fields and layout elements gradually fade out to a white screen (I think that one gave me the creepiest Twilight Zone feeling, I'll never forget that).

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.