Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Recommendations on using 8 relationship viewer

donwolfkonecny

I have happily and successfully used the old relationship viewer which was essentially just a list, necessary and sufficient with the file names on the right. Clean elegant functional.

Now I am trying to use the ERish toy made for children to play with and am having a devil of a time. I have around 30 relationships per file so the diagram has lines pages long to a filename all the way down there. It's difficult to find the proper box to double-click to access the relationship.

Does anyone have clues or is there a guide to using the diagram usefully for complicated databases? Also, are there any advantages to viewing it this way that I haven't found (any) to help mitigate my suffering?

I sure wish I had the option of viewing it the old way. Also viewing the rolodex the old way instead of the new stupid way. Wish I had saved and could "undo" the purchase and migration I've launched into 8.5

sadWolf

I have happily and successfully used the old relationship viewer which was essentially just a list, necessary and sufficient with the file names on the right. Clean elegant functional.

Now I am trying to use the ERish toy made for children to play with and am having a devil of a time. I have around 30 relationships per file so the diagram has lines pages long to a filename all the way down there. It's difficult to find the proper box to double-click to access the relationship.

Does anyone have clues or is there a guide to using the diagram usefully for complicated databases? Also, are there any advantages to viewing it this way that I haven't found (any) to help mitigate my suffering?

I sure wish I had the option of viewing it the old way. Also viewing the rolodex the old way instead of the new stupid way. Wish I had saved and could "undo" the purchase and migration I've launched into 8.5

sadWolf

Boy do I ever feel your pain.

I screeched my head off when they came out with that stupid thing. It's like replacing the Manhattan phone book yellow pages with an aerial view of Manhattan with the relevant phone numbers painted on top of each building.

I haven't found an elegant replacement for creating or editing rels, but to examine existing rels and make sense of my databases I've backwards-engineered the old rel listview through a set of tables of tables and their table occurrences, and now I can easily view a list of all rels, a constrained list of all rels utilizing a specified field as keyfield on either side, or of a specified table occurrence.

And yes, YES, the damn things are fine when you've got no more than 6 or 7 tables and they're all nicely connected in parent-child or peer-peer relationships, but when you get 20-30 tables represented as 250-350 table occurrences, you'd need a 20,480 x 15,360 pixel 25 foot wide screen and a pair of roller skates to view the whole thing legibly, and you'd still spend an inordinate amount of time trying out new spatial arrangements that might make the array look less like my Aunt Faye's sewing kit after the cat has turned it over.

I have printouts of my Rel Diagrams taped up to my wall up above my screen. It's not to brag about the FileMaker architecture I've set up, it's so I have a bird's-eye map to look at if I zoom in and get lost and need a hint as to whether to go north, south, east, or west to find the bloody table occurrence whose rel I need to modify.

Be that as it may, the advantages of Fm8 eventually make it a tolerable tradeoff, although there are still some FileMaker Inc employees who should worry about me finding out where they live.

(The guys who decided the ScriptMaker should tab you into the Script NAME instead of the menu of scripts command are in even more danger than the Rel diagram guys though)

But seriously... just wait until you get the hang of no longer having to bust your Go-to-Related-Records & Do Things There scripts into two or more parts. And Variables! No more having to recycle globals and then wonder which one you used for what! And script parameters, so one script on 30 buttons instead of 30 scripts that do nearly the same thing with one minor variation! And the Evaluate function! And changing a file reference ONCE instead of editing every.single.freaking.script plus all relationships when the files hosted at a totally different IP from the home file gets moved to a different IP. There are nice things in the new modern FileMaker that are enough better in the direction of good than the annoying stuff is in the direction of bad to make it a good tradeoff.

You are, however, entitled to scream.

It's difficult to find the proper box to double-click to access the relationship.

Just a quick tip -

You don't have to double-click the box to access the relationship ... just double-click the line.

Now doesn't that save you some grief?!

:cool:

Just a quick tip -

You don't have to double-click the box to access the relationship ... just double-click the line.

Now doesn't that save you some grief?!

:cool:

Or if double clicking the line is still too tricky, click (once) on the Table Occurrence (ie the table box) and then use the left or right arrow keys to select the relationship line/box one either side of the TO. If there is more than one line on that side, use the up and down arrows to select the correct one.

Then, with the line you want selected, use Ctrl+O (Command+O on MacOS) to bring up the corresponding relationship dialog.

Nice. You can follow the whole spiderweb using the arrow keys! I'm sure going to take a shot at that anchor-buoy model to see how that feels. Next time round. :cool:

btw I came from 6... I found that the ability to access all relationships in one screen, instead of having to open several files, go to define relationships, close it, go to the next file, and then see if I could remember what it was I was following through, a very pleasant improvement indeed :).

maarten

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.