Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Very Wierd 7.0 Printing Issue

FTE

Heres the scenario

Computer #1 Logs in and opens one of the FM databases we have using guest access, that person can print anything from the record issue you free.

Computer #2 Logs in and opens one of the FM databases we have using guest access, that person CANNOT print anything from the record. Filemaker shows that it prints 1 page (regardless if you tried to print 5 - 10000) then it goes back to the record. Looking at the printer server we see the user sends out the print via filemaker via the database but the print size is ZERO. So in essence something is preventing filemaker to print on computer #2.

a) Are Computer #1 and Computer #2 running the same operating system in the same building on the same network, and printing to the exact same printer or at least the same make and model of printer accessed in the same manner? Is the user logged on with the same account? If the answer to several of these is "no", you have a double handful of variables and you'll need to experiment with one variable at a time until you find out which one is the culprit.

b) Inversely, have you tried printing from Computer #2 using a different printer, and, if so, do you get the same results?

c) Do you have a Computer #3, a Computer #4, etc? Do most computers have the Computer #1 success rate, or do most of them behave like Computer #2, or is it a mixture? Any pattern you can discern?

a) Are Computer #1 and Computer #2 running the same operating system in the same building on the same network, and printing to the exact same printer or at least the same make and model of printer accessed in the same manner? Is the user logged on with the same account? If the answer to several of these is "no", you have a double handful of variables and you'll need to experiment with one variable at a time until you find out which one is the culprit.

Ill be bit more clear, we have 2 sets of users here at my company. We have thin clients (Terminal Services) and normal PC users (hooked to our network).

We have a total of 10 Thin client users all with unique NT logins but all use guest access to the file/s. 3 of the thin client users are not exeperincing any issues, the other 7 however are. What we first tried was using the login that works on the thin client that was having troubles. That worked fine (Login A that works, worked on Login B's computer), using login B on logins A computer did not work, so its something to do with the users login themselves. All their policy's are the same etc... Im so lost at what the hell is gone wrong. I can use Login B (the problem one as an example) and login from my desk (normal pc) and it works fine. I remote the thin client, use its login and no go.

savebl7.jpg

It looks like this ever attempting to print 20 pages, it still says printing one page then stops sending a data packet with 0 data.

b) Inversely, have you tried printing from Computer #2 using a different printer, and, if so, do you get the same results?

We have tried 15 of our printers with the login, it always yeilds the same results.

c) Do you have a Computer #3, a Computer #4, etc? Do most computers have the Computer #1 success rate, or do most of them behave like Computer #2, or is it a mixture? Any pattern you can discern?

Like I stated above, we have ruled out the PC being the problem as I can login using my account and print on the thin client no problem. Its some how related to the copy of filemaker on the terminal services server or the logins in NT not being setup correctly. However we have compared a working account (one that can print in guest mode) vs a problem one and there is no difference in the policies or security settings.

So in essence the login that was meant for the thin client wont allow filemaker to print on a thin client. Using that login on a normal PC will allow it to print. Using my personal login on a guest account on the thin client allows me to print. That rules out the NT account setup being a problem, the more I type this the more I think our terminal server copy of filemaker is somehow setup incorrectly (even thou its worked for months, then suddenly this morning this issue arrived).

Im so confused =(, why cant I print anything from filemaker on the thin clients with only a handful of logins but I can print excel documents etc. Its really wierd.

Update : We attempted to reinstall filemaker onto the terminal services server. That did not fix the problem, Im almost 100% sure the issue lies in the setup of filemaker on the server. However most users are fine its just these handful of logins that filemaker wont work for =/ so its installed correctly, just these particular users are affected.

You're using Terminal Services and printing to actual physical printers (with paper and whatnot) that are...where? In the physical building where the Terminal Services machine resides, or in the next state over in a branch office where the Terminal Services clients are sitting?

[disclaimer]I don't think this question is particularly relevant to answering your problem, but it will help me conceptualize your situation[/disclaimer]

It almost reads as if both Terminal Server box and the clients accesssing FileMaker via Terminal Services are all in the same building. Which isn't, umm, wrong, but it's a bit unusual.

I do recall that the last time we deployed TS for FmPro we had users print to PDF then copy the resultant PDF to their local Desktop and then print from Acrobat Reader. But that was in large part because our TS users were miles and miles from the FileMaker Server and the Terminal Services box and didn't feel like driving miles and miles to pick up their printouts :)

We did also try setting up a printer on the Terminal Services box which was physically at the remote user's office, accessing it long-distance via the Windows network, so the Terminal Services box was sending printing instructions to a printer located miles and miles away, but only yards from the folks desiring the printouts. It was horribly buggy and unreliable. But not in the fashion your'e describing where some users could print fine and others could not.

Hmm...this doesn't help much does it?

Anyway, most folks who have users in the same locale as the actual FileMaker files just use plain-vanilla FileMaker for guest access. I mean, you need a site license for FileMaker either way, so what's the advantage of TS for local users, right?

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.