Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Can't recover file!

Greg O-H

Hi,

I have a file in 8.5 advanced Mac OS 10.4.7.

I was importing and it quit.

Then it wouldn't open - told me it was corrupt and I should recover, so off I went to recover.

About one third of the way through recovery step 2, FMP quits.

I have tried about five times, restarted the computer - no luck, it still quits the recovery process at the same point. i can't open the file from another FMP file and I can't import anything - scripts etc.

Is there any hope or should I shoot myself now?

Hi,

Is there any hope or should I shoot myself now?

Sorry! Bit dramatic Opps!

The data is not an issue as I have it elsewhere - I also have a four day old backup so all is not lost - I would just like to see the changes I have made in the four days - getting old and can't remember all the tweeks I had included.

Cheers

Greg

Doesn't matter anyhow: "Recover" is for the sole purpose of rescuing your data. You're still supposed to ditch the file after recovery, importing the records from the recovered file into the last decent available backup after throwing the records out of the backup copy.

Recover concentrates on recovering data, sometimes at the expense of the integrity of the structure.

Recovered files should never be used again in deployment, they aren't trustworthy.

Sorry 'bout that.

Recovered files should never be used again in deployment, they aren't trustworthy.

Sorry 'bout that.

Me too! Sorry, that is!

I didn't want to use it again, just to see all the changes I had made over the last four days - guess there is a message here somewhere - could it be backup more often????

Thanks

Greg Olson-Hyde

guess there is a message here somewhere - could it be backup more often?

Yep. Hourly, Daily, Weekly. Mirror them all locally and FTP 'em someplace else too.

Filemaker server makes this easy. Always backup before an import. This strategy has saved my ass on three occasions.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.