Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Getting playable sound (not as reference) into container field

AHunter3

Compared to how FmPro handles inserting pictures, it's handling of sound has always kind of blown chunks. It's been awhile since I had clients who might have reason to have sounds in their database records, and I was kind of hoping & expecting that it had gotten better since the heyday of FileMaker 5.

Doesn't appear to be the case... :mad:

How do y'all handle it when it comes up?

a) I can insert a file "not as a reference". Files actually in container fields (as opposed to references) don't execute/play/open-in-native-app. I could export them and then run some routine to go select and play the exported file, but uggh :(

b) I can insert a file as a reference, and now I can Go to Field [select/play], very nice as long as I have some convenient external server that will always be available to anyone using the database. Oh, and some convolutions to handle cross-platform path issues, I guess. Umm, this isn't looking a whole lot better....

c) I can insert the sound via Insert QuickTime, ahh joy, this is the kind of feature I was hoping for...oh, except it seems to be intrinsically focused on inserting "as reference". If I insert via Insert QuickTime and then unmount the server to make sure the sound itself exists in the database, nope, there's no 'there there'. Same issues as (b), then...

d) You'd think Insert Sound would by now do something more useful than popping up a dialog for me to sing into, woudn't you? I want to insert a sound that's currently manifested as a sound file, not insert ambient sound.

e) OK, well, there's always the icky convoluted frustrating incomprehensible brain-dead way of doing it that worked in FileMaker 5: Open the bloody sound file in a sound editor that allows one to select, copy, and paste, then click into the container field and paste from clipboard. Do you perhaps get the impression that I'm not fond of this method? You'd be right — it's not cross-platform compatible for one thing, you have to have two container fields and do it a second time from Windows and then figure out what platform you're on and play back the appropriate container field. But just for the sake of a complete list, I tried it and guess what? it's BROKEN. Double-clicking the resultant container field (which now has a funny white stripe showing in it) isn't generating any playback.

f) To stretch the ludicrous, did step e except using FileMaker 6, to verify that I'm not entirely senile (yes it works), then converted it to FileMaker 8. The sound in the converted file plays fine. Copied the container field contents in the converted file to the clipboard and pasted it into my original FileMaker 8 file and it works there again. OK... went to the FileMaker 6 file (the unconverted one still running in FileMaker 6), clicked into the container field, copied to clipboard, went to FileMaker 8 file, cleared existing content, pasted, tried it. Doesn't work. SO, I gather that the internal format has changed. Converting the file converted the stored-sound's format. Pasting from clipboard does NOT. (Sound file was an AIFF when originally copied to clipboard btw). This does also establish that YES there is a format for storing sound actually IN the FileMaker 8 database, as a sound not a file, and that it will play back directly out of FileMaker when doubleclicked. I just can't figure out how to get it in there short of pasting into FileMaker 5 and then converting the file and copying or importing into the live solution.

Bail me out here.

b) I can insert a file as a reference, and now I can Go to Field [select/play], very nice as long as I have some convenient external server that will always be available to anyone using the database. Oh, and some convolutions to handle cross-platform path issues, I guess. Umm, this isn't looking a whole lot better....

Can't you just pack the sound files with the solution? If you're prepared to embed them then file / solution size is not an issue I guess. And the different path options are not too hard to tackle.

Sorry I've got nothing better to offer.

Maarten

No, the sounds are part of the data entry process, not bells & whistles to flesh out the solution architecture.

The end user will be inserting a sound into a container field of Record #256, and the text fields of the same record will describe the sound, who made it, what it was originally recorded on, and stuff like that.

(And I really want the sound to be IN the file and not in an exterior location. And cross platform. And to play when double-clicked. OK, yeah I know, whine whine whine, I want what I want and I want it my way and I want it now)

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.