Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

multiple currencues

memoday

hi there,

I am trying to customize FileMaker Business Tracker free module and I was wondering if tehre is a way to have multiple currencies in FM? I work with various clients with different currencies (USD, EURO, SEK, GBP, etc).

Can I create a currency value list that can automatically populated on the invoice amounts' fields when I select a client? If yes, how can I do that?

I am still a newbie, so please make it clear and simple to get it done.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Rather than "a way", there are myriad approaches, depending on what, exactly, you had in mind and what your needs are.

If you're tracking invoices and some invoices are for sales where the relevant amounts are in US dollars, some other invoices are in euros, and yet others are in UK pounds sterling, and you never have to add euros to pounds to get grand totals or compare between currencies or any of that messy stuff, all you need is for the currency prefix to change and to control for how many decimal places show (US Dollars and many other currencies traditionally show two figures to the right of the decimal; I seem to recall that the euro uses three places; and some languages/cultures/currencies use a comma instead of a period, yes?). You can deal with all of that by using one numerical field for data entry, one text "Format" field to tell the database how to display the amount onscreen and in printouts, and one DisplayCurrency calc field that uses a logical function such as Case() or Choose() to determine what symbol to put in front, what mark to delimit the whole units from the decimal bits 'n pieces, and how many places' worth of decimal detritus to the right of the demarcation mark to display.

Hope that was transparently easy to follow.

Meanwhile, if you do need to add, subtract, and otherwise manipulate figures that involve entries in different currencies, you need formulas that reference exchange rates, and for that you need to decide whether to lookup exchange rates at the time of data entry, input them as applicable to the time of the transaction itself, or utilize them as they exist in the here-and-now of whenever you're running the report or displaying the data on-screen. All of those would indicate a table of exchange rates, and you'd have to pick a "base currency" to convert everything else into behind-the-scenes, and that's the data level on which you do your actual calc math.

A Million Thank to you, AHunter3!

Your first assumption is the one I really need. Your suggested solutions sounds good, but unfortunately, I don't know exactly how do this.

I know it is too much to ask for detailed explanation, so I will give it a try.

Is there any available tutorial on how to work with multiple currencies in FileMaker?

Thanks again AHunter3 for taking the time to answer my question.

"Case" is probably more accessible & easier to parse for a newbie, it's more obvious how it works:

DisplayCurrency - calc field, text -

Case(

Format="USD",

"$"&Truncate(EnterCurrency, 0)&"."&Right("00"&Mod(EnterCurrency, 1), 2),

Format="Euro",

"€"&Truncate(EnterCurrency, 0)&"."&Right("000"&Mod(EnterCurrency, 1), 3),

Format="Pounds",

"£"&Truncate(Entercurrency, 0)&","&Right("00"&Mod(EnterCurrency, 1), 2)

)

I don't know if those are right, in the sense of "oh yeah, the Euro uses 3 decimal points and yeah, the Pound Sterling uses a comma instead of a dot between pounds and pence", but that should give you a sense of how it's done.

As with nearly all things FileMaker, there's no single one way of doing anything, but this should work.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.