privateapples

Filemaker Website Intergration

privateapples

Is there anyway I could have my customers fill out a form on my website and the information then get sent to me (e-mail from site) as a file I then can open in filemaker that doesnt need to be edited (but has the option to)? Just to make it easier for my employees to not waste time filling in information in filemaker ourselves

AHunter3

Several ways.

Is this website of yours a hypothetical website, or do you have one already? And, if you have one, is it just a static web site or is it integrated with CGI and whatnot?

In the absense of knowing a lot more about your website than I do, I can't tell you how to go about doing anything on the web end of things, but FileMaker can import common file formats and, with the aid of plugins, can directly receive email and then parse the contents into different fields, so it's definitely doable on the FileMaker end of things, in multiple different ways.

Meanwhile, you can also host your entire web site AS a FileMaker database. (Especially if it's only hypothetical at this point). Just build it in FileMaker, which publishes directly to web via IWP. When your customers fill out the form, it's already in FileMaker when they're done.

privateapples

awesome,

Well the website is up already. And at the moment its static. I wasnt looking into getting a database because of expenses. But what you said about them filling it out online and being sent to be how do I go about setting that up? Also what plugins can I use?

thanks again

AHunter3

POP3It will turn any FileMaker database into an email client. If you can get your static website to generate a "mailto" URL that encodes the form data and sends it to an email address being harvested by FileMaker + POP3It, you just need to use text functions in a script to parse the separate field values out of the email body.

(Use some kind of delimiter between fields. Doesn't have to be tab or comma, can be any seldom-seen symbol. I've used "§§§". As long as they will arrive ungarbled, FileMaker can assess which occurrence of them is which, and snag the text between any two specified occurrences thereof and assign that value to a waiting database field).

There are other similar plugins from other vendors...Dacons makes one called MailIt, but I don't know if they have a FileMaker 7/8 version available yet -- ??

privateapples

perfect! Do you know of any plug-ins that can insert a pdf form into filemarker correctly?

AHunter3

If you're running OS X, you can just insert a PDF the same as any other graphic file. I would assume it could then display properly to people browsing the database via web browser if served up by a Mac, but I could be wrong.

What you could definitely do is store the PDF as a file on server and have FileMaker calculate the internet-valid path to it and let the user download it to their local HD when they click a button.

Important Information

Terms of Use