Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Filemaker - Runtime & Networking

fx_uk

We all know its not possible to network a runtime solution

and fair enought theres licensing issues but the thought I have

which I have relayed to filemaker suggestions team is this.

I would like to see runtime with 2 user network capabilities

even if there are additional licence fees,

But you can I hear you say.......

To enable my runtime to work in a network environment the user doesnt

just have to buy 1 copy of filemaker, but 2 and run the solution from both

Which then puts an end to our nice welcome screens and kiosk view, makes it complicated to open the runtime file, theres no way to allow the IP address to be stored as a global field, thus forcing the use of the OPEN REMOTE dialogue rather than scripting this...

two many things which make networking a filemaker database complicated for "my type of customers" which are not all fluent in computers.

I think asking for a 2 client runtime (at extra cost to me) isnt too much to ask them for and still leaves it limited for the major corporations.

Small low profit companies would benefit and it would also add a HUGE plus to the reasons to purchase filemaker.

Im now having to consider changing my development platform altogether especially if enough people request networking features as a 5 licence pack of filemaker pro turns my solution into something VERY VERY EXPENSIVE ! and literally un-desirable compared to my competition.

LET THEM KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS !! If they dont know, how can they react.

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I know a lot of people have been asking for such features as a thin client, pretty similar but im asking for Filemaker Advanced to at least support two computers straight out of the box.. even if it cost me double.

Runtime solutions that have been set up with the Dev Tool / FmAdvanced to run in kiosk mode should still run in kiosk mode when opened in plain old FileMaker Pro.

(I think an exception would be if you have Full Access privs; at least under FileMaker 6 that's how it worked, haven't made any Fm 7/8 runtimes)

To open a shared file, you make a file reference to the file using fmnet://ip.address.of.host/filename.fp7 (or just navigate to it and it will input the string for you when you navigate to and select the file). Don't see any reason you'd need to store the IP in a global field. Once you've got the file reference, you can script Open File [select from dropdown list of known files].

The reason for storing an IP is that not all customers IP addresses are the same

or depending on which machine they want to host the database, all the clients with scripted open would need the IP address hard coded.

because allowing a calculated field for IP is not possible it makes things difficult, either a lot of work releasing individual "opening scripts" to keep life easy

or forcing them to use the ugly OPEN REMOTE dialogue.

They do open in kiosk yes, when under standard filemaker pro but none the less.

still a feature or two I would like to see.

I love filemaker, dont get me wrong and if I can help it wont change to the likes of access, but networking is costly with filemaker... especially when telling clients, if you want a network version you have to buy my solution, then buy two or more copies of filemaker !

The reason for storing an IP is that not all customers IP addresses are the same or depending on which machine they want to host the database, all the clients with scripted open would need the IP address hard coded.

because allowing a calculated field for IP is not possible it makes things difficult, either a lot of work releasing individual "opening scripts" to keep life easy or forcing them to use the ugly OPEN REMOTE dialogue.

They do open in kiosk yes, when under standard filemaker pro but none the less.

still a feature or two I would like to see.

I love filemaker, dont get me wrong and if I can help it wont change to the likes of access, but networking is costly with filemaker... especially when telling clients, if you want a network version you have to buy my solution, then buy two or more copies of filemaker !

Oh yeah, I see your point. You could give them access to a global field to type in their IP address of host with less complexity on their end than having them edit the Define File References. (Although you could walk them through that on the phone, and the script could be set up already. I love the modern File References system, sure beats having the IP address hard-bound into every bloody script that accesses a remote file!)

if I can help it wont change to the likes of acces

You said it. Or SQL or Oracle for that matter. It may have holes and warts but FmPro is still beautiful overall.

Every system has its own downfalls and uprisings !

With mine, I encourage people to let me know their wants, dislikes and of course bugs they find, I do the same to filemaker a new request or two gets posted every month as and when I think of one...

So far since Ive stepped up from 5 to 6, 7, 8 and now 8.5 year by year im

getting close to what I ask for... so its not all bad.

Last year I along with I suppose a lot of others asked for type ahead, and there it is ! The idea of the post above is more of a COME ON PEOPLE let filemaker know what you want !!!

As you say, they added calculations for file references etc, which made life a heck of a lot easier, just need it for the ip now.

Overall since V6 filemaker has taken a huge leap in my eyes, I religously purchase the upgrades literally days after release because no matter how small the extras may seem, theres always new ways to work around things.

i.e

I used hidden global fields to jump to tab layouts, now with the new script functions thats no longer needed..

Cant wait for version 9 to be released !!!

Ive read that 8.5 was a bit of a rush job to get the new Intel based mac support !

I do like to ramble on dont I......

much the same loquacious tendency

d'you know, I never noticed? smiley_cool

Seriously, what about IWP? I threw that in a corner frustratedly when working in v6... but recently I've been trying it out and it seems lots better (or I am?). Mind you, I haven't tried anything big yet for speed and such... and I know there is much you need to do about your scripts but maybe all in all, for a small network and a not-too-complicated solution, or at least one with a relatively simple UI, networking through a browser may be an alternative worth considering. IWP using Filemaker Pro will service 5 simultaneous web clients, if I'm not mistaken.

Then, given the choice of feature requests, I'd rather see them further enhance IWP than runtime features. Although...

But my point of view is in-house guy, not commercial developer.

And did I hear anybody mention the word thin client?

just my 2c.

kjoe

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.