Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

filtering portal content

snatchfrigate

I am having problems making a portal showing more specific information.

the portal is ment to show notes for a specific person. but i am trying to make the portal filter out the notes dependant on the user viewing the portal, so the portal only shows content that applies to the user logged in.

if any one can help me on this, it would be great as im pretty new to filemaker

You can filter by more than one field.

So store the current account at login in a global field (assuming your user accounts are set in the privileges and accounts setup, you can use get(accountname) for this).

And the records for the notes table can have a an acount field that is text, auto enter, get(accountname), do not replace field contents.

so then you can make the relation dependent on

main table notes table

PersonID = PersonID

AND

gCurrentAccount = AccountName

hope this helps

kjoe

what is causing the problem for me is...

i am am using a database i have imported from an sql server. over wise i would build to tables and relationships to fit the application better, so i am restricted in that sence.

to add to that i have to make a page that gives breif information of the client. such as details, then a portal that has the notes. if this was a dedicated notes form i beleive you would of solved my problem.

tbh tho i might just be confused. im used to much more complicated environments than this

I'm only used to Filemaker... but when you say you "imported the db from SQL..." I assume you just imported the data and not the functionality? So logon scripts, relationships etc. are all part of the filemaker solution and you can just do whatever you like with it, no matter where the data come from.

What do you mean by "a dedicated notes form"?

kjoe

basically the only time i am using the notes is in a portal. i was thining perhaps it would be alot easier if i made a form that used note then i could filter that way.

but like i said i might just be making things more complecated for myself than it needs to be

You might, then again I might be missing your point.

It makes sense that the notes are in a separate table but are viewed in a portal only. In the portal you can filter notes at the same time by person and by accountname. You can use a script to create new notes.

Let me know if you need a sample. There is one here, it has only the filter for accountname missing, which is a breeze to insert.

kjoe

thank you. i will see what i can do with what youve told me. i think the main issue i have with file maker is because with most database applications you can simply filter by adding a where clause in a query.

i will give what you have told me a go when im at work tomorrow

Important Information

Terms of Use