Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Eudora and bcc fields?

giramondo

Hi folks,

I'm using FMP7 and trying to get it to talk properly to Eudora...

I've a send mail script set up that works fine with Mail, however when using Eudora it doesn't copy addresses to the bcc field.

My boss really wants to use Eudora with the program.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

g

Hang on, I'm a fully addicted Eudora user...

OK, everything seems to work. There are two ways of scripting the sending of mail (as I'm sure you know), Send Mail and Open URL. Both allow for bcc field entry using Eudora as the email client.

Send Mail [To=joe@somewhere.com/cc=cc@somewhere.com/bcc=bcc@somewhere.com/Subject=A Subject"/Message Text="A message, yes a message baby!]

Outcome: see attachment 1

Open URL ["mailto:joe@somewhere.com?cc=cc@somewhere.com&bcc=hello@somewhere.com&subject=YoHowdy&body=this is an email body, baby"]

Outcome: see attachment 2

I've also experimented with Send Mail and Open URL instrux that leave off To and CC headers, and they still work fine. What are the particulars of your complaint? In what fasion are you unable to send email to Eudora utilizing the bcc field/header?

Hi there guru...

The problem is quite localised.

The outcome I want is to use the Send Mail (Specify Mail) function to BCC "values from every record in found set". I've gone to the "specify field name" step, specified the Email field, and it all looks fine. Then when I run the script, nothing copies across into the BCCs in Eudora. However, when I do exactly the same thing for the TO and CC fields, it works fine. And it's not just hiding the addresses, nothing sends from BCC.

AND, when I set the default mailer to Mail, I get BCCs using the same script.

AND, when using the Open URL script step, I get BCCs in Mail and Eudora, but there's no found set function under that is there?

I guess it's a problem in my Eudora (6.2) though I do note that Eudora is not officially supported by FMP. I've looked at a previous thread on this forum, and tried having Eudora already running when I run the script, but no change.

Any ideas? Does the found set function work for BCCs at your end?

Thanks a bunch,

g

I reopened the script as described in Attachment 1, changed the BCC field from specified textstring to field value, field in question being a newly created field "Email Address".

After creating Email Address, I did a Replace on the field (empty at this point for all records), replacing with "record"&Get(CurrentRecordNumber)&"@filemaker.com". Result was a new & unique email adddress for 7 test-records.

In the Script, changed the option to "Multiple emails (one for each record in found set)".

Ran script. Eudora obligingly generated 5 outbound email messages, identical in all other fields but with the bcc field different for each one based on the value in each of the 5 records.

Hi, unfortunately Eudora is not so obliging for me, i have set up the script exactly as you did, differences being that FMP7 does not send multiple emails but should still 'get values from every record in found set' and place them in the BCC field of the email message generated.

The script is set up correctly as it works perfectly for both Mail and Entourage BCCs from the same command.

Open URL also works in Eudora - as in BCCs do show up - do you know of a calculation I could use to simulate 'get values from every record in found set in the Email field', and type manually into the Open URL script to circumvent my problem?

I guess I could also try reinstalling Eudora, however I have the same problem on 2 machines. It's just not reading the BCC command *when it's a field value*, though it can read it when it's a manually typed dedicated email address. It can read field values for CCs.

Does anyone know of any wacky BCC settings in Eudora that may be interfering? It's doing my head in.

OK, just tried it in FmPro 7.0v3. Just doesn't work in 7 I guess.

In this day and age, is it really a good idea to send out email with lots of addresses in the bcc field? I tend to think of it as a spammer trick. Email that doesn't have my actual email address in the "to" or "cc" header goes straight to trash unseen and unread unless the "from" header causes it to be actively filtered in.

That might be why FileMaker 7 doesn't let you do it, and why the option was changed in 8 to send out individual emails instead.

A more conventionally acceptable way of mass emailing is by setting up a list and having people subscribe; email sent "to the list" (a single address) bursts to everyone who is aliased on it.

Hmm, you might be able to AppleScript the creation in Eudora of a Nickname that "expands" to consist of all the email addresses in the FileMaker found set. Then you can send email to the Nickname.

OK, just tried it in FmPro 7.0v3. Just doesn't work in 7 I guess.

Alan... What program are you using in your jpeg's? Looks like something from your Apple LEII

My boss really wants to use Eudora with the program.

[/Quote]

giramondo... Thought about using Dacons Mailit? free to use with demo stamp at the end of email or buy (cheap) and modify to your company.

Best of all... It is all done in FileMaker... and stored in FM ...Not your emailer.

I use it everyday to send confirmations of customers new purchase orders. Average of 25 per day. Never a problem.

Alan... What program are you using in your jpeg's? Looks like something from your Apple LEII

That's Eudora. Is the OS9ish skin throwing you off? (I hate Aqua). Don't have an LE II. Got a Mac LC running System 6, and got it online, but MacWWW just isn't up to doing vBulletin message boards. (Or much of anything beyond the most basic websites hosted on nonpicky servers)

giramondo... Thought about using Dacons Mailit? free to use with demo stamp at the end of email or buy (cheap) and modify to your company.

Best of all... It is all done in FileMaker... and stored in FM ...Not your emailer.

That's a good idea. If I ever did decide to ditch Eudora, it would be in favor of a home-brewed FileMaker solution with POP3It/SMTPit plugins. (Haven't found a dependable way to designate a specified FileMaker solution as my MAPI compliant email program though)

Important Information

Terms of Use