Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Filemaker 8.5 and printing

fx_uk

smiley-cry Im having issues since upgrading to filemaker 8.5

Im not interested much in swapping printers, however , what I would like to do is

initially allow users to store their print settings

I.e some users may want DRAFT others full quality

I use the Print Setup script to define landscape / portrait

and also the Print script to define "records being browsed" & "current record"

It seems the registry entry for Printer doesnt seem to do ANYTHING !

Ive tried clearing this, initialising the print setup with a show dialogue, setting the print settings to say "draft" and printing, but out comes a full quality document.

I also purchased Pro Print, which again doesnt seem to function properly anymore in 8.5 and so it seems the company no longer support it.

Any help / advice is welcome on a workaround procedure for setting up the following so it can be used by other users with different printers :

All Portrait Standard

All Portrait Draft

Single Portrait Standard

Single Portrait Draft

and so on so forth

P.S I have looked at the My Butler script and its not really what Im looking for, apart from the cost for a simple print solution which filemaker should have taken care of, it seems to be more specific on switching printers

Im probably doing something wrong so please please if you cant tell me how to do it correctly send me some paracetamol !! smiley-undecided

One last MOAN ! why oh why cant you use the PDF creator in a runtime !

such a waste of a good feature, kind of like the networking disapearance from earlier versions. smiley-money-mouth

One last MOAN ! why oh why cant you use the PDF creator in a runtime ! such a waste of a good feature, kind of like the networking disapearance from earlier versions. smiley-money-mouth

In this case I would say it has more to do with the Adobe licensing of the PDF engine than FileMaker Inc cutting out the feature. I suspect the Adobe license does not extend to free runtimes.

BTW, if you use a Mac, you get a free PDF writer built into the operating system. ;)

So maybe I could ask this question on behalf of Adobe (who have enormous investment in the PDF technology) - how much would you be prepared to pay per runtime instance for the PDF creator feature? Would you be prepared to pay for it even if you didn't use it? Or would you just say you weren't going to use it? And if you were prepared to pay for it, how would you propose the money be collected? And by whom?

In short, I doubt you are developing solutions for free distribution and use. Why would you expect FileMaker or Adobe to do the same?

I agree with this, however why are there so many freely available Print 2 PDF drivers on the market, I could install and use one of these if filemakers printing issues where sorted out.

In this case I would say it has more to do with the

In short, I doubt you are developing solutions for free distribution and use. Why would you expect FileMaker or Adobe to do the same?

You may be able to help on this issue.

Previously as mentioned I used Pro Print but for some reason now when using the Print Setup & Print script steps with specify options and show no dialogue set it remembers the printer.

I have manually done a print setup, manually printed a page to a PRINTER B but as soon as I run my scripted print it reverts back to PRINTER A

Reading through filemakers help etc, they say if show no dialogue is set it WONT remember the printer used.

In registry the default printer for filemaker is PRINTER B

Any tips for setting up the print script steps to use the filemaker default printer and not save its own settings ?? I didnt seem to have this issue on filemaker 7 or as far as I can remember 8 advanced

Just an addition im noticing whilst experimenting....

The Print Setup script seems to restore a particular printer

even though this contradicts filemaker :

If you select Perform without dialog, the output from this script step will be sent to the last specified printer and not the one specified in the Edit Script dialog box.

The Print Script doesnt appear to restore a particular printer

So how would I select Landscape / Portrait without restoring the printer

shown in the dialogue box ?

( by the looks of it filemaker may have been trying to address the issue on 8.5 or am I just overlooking something like an idiot )

I wish i could edit my last post.... Im sorry if this is annoying but I cant help posting when I find something through testing

I can create a script to do the following (switch printers automatically):

Print Setup [ Printer A. ]

Print [ all records to printer A. ]

Print Setup [ printer B ]

Print [ a single record to printer B ]

print [ a single record to printer A ]

(Am I right in thinking thats why people buy the plugins ? and heres me needing the complete opposite, I dont want it to remember the printer ! )

Print Setup does not cause the printout to go to the printer you see in the Print Setup dialog. Print [no dialog] doesn't cause the printout to go to the printer you see in the dialog either.

The parameters that Print Setup saves and applies at script-run time are orientation, paper size, reduction or enlargement, and things like which tray to use, draft or hi-res mode, fast or hi-quality, etc etc; and the things that the Print script step saves and applies at script-run time are current record vs found set, all pages or pages 2 thru 17 or whatever, and so on.

For some odd reason, there's no restoration of actual printer choice (the Apple LaserWriter on yon table versus HP LaserJet down the hall versus Epson inkjet in the wire rack above me), despite appearances to the contrary. (Unless you're saying that it works for you when you do it, in which case I need to do some experimenting). I doubt that FileMaker Inc simply overlooked it, there must be some reason it's more complicated than it looks.

Although if the plug-in authors can figure it out...

That is exactly what im saying,

I WORKED FOR ME !

I created a script

I chose Print Setup, then selected the the first Printer and the print options such as landscape.

I then chose Print and selected Current Record.

I did this twice (with two different printers) ended up with script similar to below.

Print [ all records to printer A. ]

Print Setup [ printer B ]

Print [ a single record to printer B ]

print [ a single record to printer A ]

When I run this script, it indeed printed 1 page from printer A and another from printer B which I thought was impossible, however looking on filemakers tech pages it seems they have attempted a fix on this in 8.0 and 8.5 ?????

The issues ive been having since yesterday is that I couldnt STOP it restoring the printer, I think its all to do with the timing when writing the scripts not 100 sure as yet as still experimenting myself.

I chose Print Setup, then selected the the first Printer and the print options such as landscape.

I then chose Print and selected Current Record.

Both options have Restore & No dialogue selected

Im having fun here...

It seems if you select a printer other than the default one shown in the dialogue box it will default to that (from Print Setup - not Print )

However if you dont touch the printer selection atall doesnt save the setting

Its a bit tricky but ive managed to get two scripts which look identical

but one allows my "Pro Print" to change printers whilst the other

ALWAYS defaults to my second printer regardless of the filemaker default printer...

Its wierd and I have a huge headache but for some reason it works, I wonder when I convert to a runtime if it still works as I hoped !

Wow. Usually it's features that are supposed to work but don't. Here's one that isn't supposed to work but does?!?

Not that I'm complaining. ::off to play with new hidden feature::

Sure saves $60 + on a plugin !!! include that with a free pdf printer driver and your set to go...

Im sure its something they have been trying to sort out and got 1 step closer in 8.5

off to play with new hidden feature

Just a cautionary note - if it is not "supposed" to work that way, do not rely on it working that way in the future. Many developers were burned when an unsupported feature* got "fixed" in a later version and broke their solution that relied on the feature. Just warning you. ;) Have fun anyway.

Cheers,

David Head

* the feature was the ability to copy a page in Preview mode and save the image to a container field

Just a cautionary note - if it is not "supposed" to work that way, do not rely on it working that way in the future. Many developers were burned when an unsupported feature* got "fixed" in a later version and broke their solution that relied on the feature. Just warning you. ;) Have fun anyway.

Cheers,

David Head

* the feature was the ability to copy a page in Preview mode and save the image to a container field

On this note, it was the exact opposite, it working broke my solution to some degree as my plugin which I purchased for that feature last year stopped changing the printers as filemaker ignored it and defaulted to what I had set.

A note I would like to add, if using under a runtime solution you should only be able to script a printer change if the EXACT same printer is in use on your clients machine, so scripting to save YOUR printer may cause problems.

However if bundling a printer driver for say print 2 PDF then creating a script to ONLY change to that printer and still use filemaker default for all other printing scripts it could work ! Just a thought

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.