Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

multiple sorts within a portal

moondowg

I have an email solution that displays typical email information within a portal.

I can currently view all the messsages sorted according to their date of receipt, but would like to know how to achieve this sorted look with a descriptive header above each category.

I am trying to achieve a MS Outlook look where the messages are sorted within the portal under categories such as TODAY, YESTERDAY, LASTWEEK, etc.

Is it possible to sort portals in this fashion?

No. Portals don't split and insert headers.

You can, however, run what's called a subsummary report. It's highly automated in FileMaker. Create a new layout, showing records from the table occurrence of the portal, indicate that the type of layout would be a columnar list/report, and just answer the questions. It even builds the script for you.

If you want the headers / divisions to be other than one division per date & headers consist of the date itself, you'll probably need a calc field, which is what you'll sort by, and a custom value list to establish the sort order (to make it chronological, not alphabetical when you sort by it) and divide your subsummary report by, something like:

HeaderTitle (text) =

Case(Get(CurrentDate)=DateReceived, "Today", Get(CurrentDate)-DateReceived=1, "Yesterday", Get(CurrentDate)-DateReceived>1 and Get(CurrentDate)-DateReceived7 and Get(CurrentDate)-DateReceived

Custom Value List values, in order, = "Today, Yesterday, This Week, Last Week, Older Messages" (hard-return separated, without quotation mks, in that order)

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply and the subsummary worked exactly as you said it would.

How would I go about mimiking the outlook environment utilizing a subsummary report?

Would I have to open seperate files with fixed positions to display the messages and have a large reading area or is it possible to contain the subsummary within a section of a layout.

Thanks again for all your help!

Can't really tell you, not being an Outlook user. Folks who use Outlook and have a better idea of what it looks like and how it behaves would give you better advice there.

Yes, but I thought the OP was asking how to sort portal records and have headers between values of the sort order in the portal, e.g., ---

====EmailPortal=====

TODAY'S MAIL

9/11 JoeBlow@somewhere.com • Re: meeting on Friday • URGENT

9/11 Sue@home.isp.net • Macklins for supper on Friday?

9/11 Comment@filemakercafe.com • re: multiple sorts w/in portal

YESTERDAY'S MAIL

9/10 cdmarketing@spamware.com • Lotsa cheap illegal pillies!

9/10 Sue@home.isp.net • re: shopping list for Safeway

LAST WEEK'S MAIL

9/09 tony@tiger.com • Well I think they're great!

9/08 sysop@board.com • Welcome to the Puzzles Board!

9/08 ahunter3@earthlink.net • re: calculation fields

Of course I might've misinterpreted but I thought that was what was being requested. And while it might be possible in a portal, it would be a long way from elegant to implement such a thing. Portals don't natively behave that way.

I am not an Outlook user either, so I might have misunderstood the request myself. It still could be done by using permanent dummy records in the Messages table, but I wouldn't go that far.

Another option is to have a portal display like this:

TODAY'S MAIL       9/11  JoeBlow@somewhere.com        Re: meeting on Friday
                  9/11  Sue@home.isp net             Macklins
                  9/11  Comment@filemakercafe com    Re: multiple sorts 
YESTERDAY'S MAIL   9/10  cdmarketing@spamware com     Lotsa cheap illegal pillies!
                  9/10  Sue@home.isp.ne              re: shopping list for Safeway
LAST WEEK'S MAIL   9/09  tony@tiger.com               Well I think they're great!
                  9/08  sysop@board.com              Welcome to the Puzzles Board!
                  9/08  ahunter3@earthlink.net       re: calculation fields

Important Information

Terms of Use