Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Attaching emails to contacts history

moondowg

Hi all, this is my first post and my first attempt at a filemaker solution. I have taken on an ambitious goal of creating a complete CRM solution for my company's tour and travel business. I have used this forum extensively and am very pleased with the current state of my database. So thanks in advance for you unknowing contributions.

I have a complete email module using Dacon's Mail-it plugin. Everything works great. I have a seperate contacts module that relates the contacts email address to all messages with that contacts email address, either to or from. From my contacts layout, I can view any email message either to or from the contacts emailaddress1.

My question:

I would also like to see messages sent to or from an alternate email address, such as emailaddress2, emailaddress3, etc. in the same portal.

Currently, I have the following relationship:

Contacts:

email1

related to

Messages Contacts (Join Table):

address

message id

related to

message id

Any suggestions?

One way to do this would be to define a calculation field in Contacts (result is Text) =

email1 &¶&

email2 &¶&

email9

and use this field as the match for the relationship to Messages.

A better way would be to have a separate table of e-mail addresses, related to Contacts. This way a portal from Contacts to Messages (via Addresses) can show all messages of the contact - regardless of address used. You could also filter the portal to show only messages to/from selected addresses.

Important Information

Terms of Use