Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Phone numbers by Individual Name

IGotIt

I have three portals in my Company contacts layout that are all related to my Details table.

ContactAddress: Addresses for a company such as Main Office, Shipping, Billing etc.

ContactPhone: Phone numbers such as, Main phone number, Main Fax Number, Web site address, Main email addres etc.

ContactPeople: Names of the people who work for the selected company. It contains FirstName, LastName and Department.

What I’d like to do is click on a button located on the ContactPeople portal row, Billy Bozo for example and have another portal “PeoplePhones” on this same layout show all phone number for Billy Bozo.

The company name is not located in the Details table. CompanyName and CompanyID are located in the Contacts table.

How would you set this up? Thanks a lot,

Milo

:confused:

Why wouldn't Billy Bozo's telnumber be entered in a telnumber field in the Billy Bozo record as viewed in the ContactPeople portal? It's his phone number, yes, not merely one of an unlimited-infinite zillion possible phone numbers for Company A?

Come to think of it, do the various companies in your system have such a diverse and elaborate variation in the number and type of telephone numbers that you need a portal to accomodate them? Most folks would just define hardwired fields right there in the Company table for maintel, fax, auxtel, auxtel_2, etc.

Hi AHunter3,

I guess I don't understand your meaning.

In my People portal I have the name Billy Bozo, Carol Bozo and Ken Carney. I want to be able to click on each name and put in phone numbers that are unique to each one.

So if I click on Billy Bozo I can go to the “PeoplePhones” portal and enter Billy's phone numbers. His direct number at the business, his cell phone number at the business, his personal cell phone number, pager number, home phone number etc. Because one person has many numbers and email addresses I want to be able to click their name and just see the numbers unique to them.

I hope that explaines things better,

Milo

Not really, no.

WHAT YOU SAID YOU HAVE:

Company Name: _____

Company Address: ____

Company's Dog's Name: _____

Other Company-specific Fields: ____

===Portal to Contact People===

===Name: ____________====

===AnotherName:______====

====================

===Portal to Phone Numbers===

===TelNumber:__________===

===AnotherTelNo:________===

=====================

HOW I WOULD DO IT, AND THINK YOU SHOULD BE DOING IT:

Company Name:______

Company Address: _____

Company's Dog's Name:_____

Company Tel Number:_____

Company FAX No:______

Company Aux Tel:_____

=====Portal to ContactPeople=======================

==Name____ Telephone_____ ContactPerson's Dog's Name:____==

==Name____ Telephone______ContactPerson's Dog's Name:____==

==========================================

A given telephone number can be entered as either of the company or as of the contact person. In your example, you would do this:

=====Portal to ContactPeople=======================

Billy Bozo Tel#: 555-234-5678 Emal: bbozo@co.com Dog: Rover

==========================================

Billy Bozo's telephone number is part of the "Billy Bozo" record, which is a single record in the table to which the ContactsPeople portal goes. I can't imagine a good reason for a totally separate portal to telephone numbers. Well, OK, I can, but it seems like a real stretch: if most of your companies had a ****load of telephone numbers that were not dedicated to this or that contact person but were instead, oh I dunno, "Day Phone", "Main Line", "Emergency Room", "Server Room", "Information", "FAX", "Direct Modem", "Hallway Phone", "Pay Phone on 13th Floor", "Lobby Phone", "Kitchen Phone", "Phone in Bathroom Stall #3", etc, and not one of them was a specific person's phone, and each company had its own different ridiculous set of phones like that, then I could see a portal to phone numbers.

But even then, if a given phone were Billy Bozo's phone number, I'd want it to be in the same portal as Billy Bozo. It's not of the company, it's of the contact person (in this case Billy Bozo). And I'd have his job title, office number, email address, and anything else that pertains to him as an individual employee at Company A to also be in that record, on that portal row.

Hello again AHunter3,

We are either not understanding each other of have a fundamentally different view of the way we do, or want to do things.

If in your example, Billy Bozo has six phone numbers associated to him. You would have six separate fields spread out all over the layout to accommodate them. I don’t want that kind of set up nor have the room for it and I don't really think that's what your trying to tell me is it?

I guess I don’t understand where our confusion is. We use portals for different invoices, addresses, people and all kinds of things to keep things orderly if for no other reason. So I do not understand the problem with having a portal with people’s names in it and then another portal that has that specific persons phone numbers.

We have many companies we do business with that have people with many phone numbers, especially sales people. I just took a quick look and I’d say better than 70% of the people in our list have 4 or more phone numbers unique to them. And hard coding them on a separate field bases for each different kind of number would be a nightmare beyond proportion.

We must not understand each other. I’ve seen what I’m talking about time and time again in other solutions. But they have not been open solutions so I couldn't see how they did it.

If this doesn’t help I don’t know how to better explain it or understand what you’re trying to tell me. Are we reading each others words without paying attention to the meaning. Or is it just "That time of day"?

Milo

Hey AHunter3,

AHunter3: But even then, if a given phone were Billy Bozo's phone number, I'd want it to be in the same portal as Billy Bozo.

I don't care where the phone numbers reside, I just want them in a portal so I can click on Billy Bozo's name and have a portal showing his 6 unique phone numbers. And then click on another name and see his 4 unique phone numbers and add another phone number and/or email address if necessary.

Milo

Six phone numbers? You have contact people at companies who have six freaking phone numbers? There are people on this planet sick enough to have six different phone numbers? Ewwww!!! (Couldn't they just have a subcutaneous GPS device installed or something?)

OK. Here's an example file. Example one assumes 6 is the most you'll EVAH want to keep track of for any one person. Example two is more scalable, at the cost of some data-entry clumsiness (which you can probably improve on), and at the cost of making your portal deeper from time to time, you can handle as many freaking phone numbers as some individual corporate contact needs you to have. Billy Bozo has 23 distinct phone numbers? Use Example two.

"IGotIt, 'zat that you baby? Hold on, I got someone on the other line..."

This is getting very tiresome. If you have an answer to the question, post it. If not..

Milo: clicking on a contact should set a global field to the contact's ID. Then have a relationship to Phones based on that global field.

I think he means that in your portal to contacts, you put a button; the button runs a script that sets the value of a global field in CompanyName to the Contact Person ID. Meanwhile, you set up a relationship between CompanyName directly to PhoneNumbersOfContacts, between the global field and the Contact Person ID field in PhoneNumbersOfContacts. That prompts you to put a name to a second table occurrence of PhoneNumbersOfContacts, let's call it PhoneNumbersOfSelectedContact. You put a portal to that TO on your screen.

So you select the contact for which you want to see phone numbers, by clicking the button next to it, and then in the other portal, the portal to PhoneNumbersOfSelectedContact, you get all of that person's phone numbers.

(And yes, it's a more elegant solution than the ones I posted).

The architectural assumption is identical to the one I used though: You enter Phone Numbers for each contact from that contact person's screen, in a portal to PhoneNumbersOfContacts, a related table based on the relationship of Contact Person ID (in Contacts) to Contact Person ID (in PhoneNumbersOfContacts).

I don't think that's quite what I meant - except the first part of the first sentence. I got lost after that.

Assuming you have three tables (Companies, Contacts and Phones), you need to add a global field gContactID in Companies, and define a relationship between Companies and a new TO of Phones:

Companies::gContactID = Phones 2::ContactID

A portal to Phones 2 wil show the phones of the selected contact. A potential problem with this approach is that the global remains unchanged as you browse thru companies - until you select another contact.

Important Information

Terms of Use