Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Send Mail fails inside a loop on Windows XP using Outlook Express

davidkovacs

Using the "Send Mail" script step fails on Filemaker 8 Pro v1 on Windows XP using Outlook express as the default client, in the following way:

Using Send Mail inside a loop, when looping over a found set causes Filemaker to shut down with an error message saying Filemaker.exe encountered an error.

The Send Mail script step is sending an email to the current record's email address and is also

attaching a PDF that is created from a Report that is created on the previous script step. The Send Mail Script step is attaching the PDF from a

known location on the hard drive. It was saved to that location in the previous step.

The Email client is Outlook Express and the security check is disabled so that other programs can send mail through outlook express. The Send Mail script step works for the first record and the email gets sent, but it fails for the other records. Filemaker shuts down with an error after the first record in the found set.

The exact same looping script works perfectly in Filemaker Pro 8.5 advanced.

Is this an error in Filemaker Pro 8? and are there any version updates for FM Pro 8 that would fix this?

Perhaps there is another work around? Has anybody encountered this same problem?

Thanks for your help,

David Kovacs

I don't use Outlook Express so I can't offer any first-hand wisdom but I wonder about as couple things:

1. What would happen if you inserted a 5 second pause inside the loop?

2. What would happen if you updated to 8.0v3? I think v3 is the latest but you will want to verify that.

I don't use Outlook Express so I can't offer any first-hand wisdom but I wonder about as couple things:

1. What would happen if you inserted a 5 second pause inside the loop?

2. What would happen if you updated to 8.0v3? I think v3 is the latest but you will want to verify that.

I'll try the pause. if that doesn't work I'll try the upgrade to v3.

thanks for the advice

Dave

All flavors of Outlook used to be Gateway to Virus City; in an effort to make them more secure, Microsoft changed them so when any other application attempts to tell the OS to send mail, and Outlook is the designated MAPI email program, Outlook (express or full blown) is supposed to ask the user, "Some app is trying to make me send some mail, is that legitimate & all?"

My guess is that's what's crashing your loop.

You might be able to approve it once and not get asked again, though. Try a Send Mail script step that's not in a loop and see if that message pops up. Then after you've okayed it try it again and see if the message comes up again.

No It's not Outlook express. I've already set the Security check to allow email

to be sent from other applications. And all this seems to work with 8.5.

Actually I've been stepping through this with the debugger, and it seems to fail the third time through the loop when I call

Save Records as PDF [Restore; No dialog; "$pdfSaveLocation"; Current record]

Since I'm going through the loop, this is always overwriting the same file at the same location. It is always giving it the same name, but of course the actual content is different. So when the next step, Send Mail, attaches the PDF it's actually sending a new PDF.

This works brilliantly on the Mac.

Are there any problems with repeatedly overwriting the same file with the same name in the same place on Windows XP with FM 8?

Oh and I forgot to mention, I am using v3.

My client is using v1, but I do have v3.

The environment I need to get this to work in is:

Windows XP, Filemaker pro 8 v3 and Outlook Express.

Thanks for your help