Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

passwords

mej

Does anybody know how to uniform one password on many different but related files without having to go inside of each file and add or change the new password? Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

There's an "Add Account" script step.

You'd have to script each of the different files, but once you've done that you could pass the desired password (and username and privilege set name, "Add Account" requires you to specify those three variables) in the form of global fields and then call each script in each file from a central script that runs the others as subscripts. Best if you establish Privilege Sets with identical names in all your files beforehand.

I know why I have multiple files (one file contains positively ancient line-item records that utilize lots of obsolete fields I didn't want to build into the modern structure, aside from which I wanted all records that old to be read-only to everyone), so let me acknowledge up front that there are legitimate reasons to go with multiple files...but having said that, why are you using multiple files?

I am using multiple files because I thought it was better? I am not sure really why. Is there a simpler way of doing it? I have a vehicle inventory file, invoicing files, accounts receivable file, inventory file, etc...

Not really. If you're that far invested in it, I understand being hesitant about rebuilding all tables but one from the ground up. (Although eventually you still should, the tradeoffs in ease of scripting make it worthwhile to do so).

So just write an Add Account script, import it into each file, and then in the original file call the other copies of the script as subscripts after passing the three necessary parameters to them via global field values. You still need the privilege set names to match or else calculate what they are in File B if the one in File A is Such-And-Such.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.