Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Setting Primary Key

calliex

I have created a database from importing the database from a comma separated text file. The first line of the text file contains the field names. I now want to use one of the fields as a primary key. I can not find anything in the define database that allows me to do that.

Do I need to create a new field before I import database and allow filemaker to set an internal record Id for the primary key? The field the currently in the database is unique and would make a better primary key.

Joe

FileMaker doesn't have a checkbox/option like Access to define a specific field as a Primary Key. You can use any field as a primary key and many developers have a field naming convention to remind themselves which field they are using.

The main thing you should really do with your field you want to use as a primary key is to turn on th validation option to ensure the values are unique and not allow the user to override that.

The best kind of primary key is an auto-enter serial number.

You can create a number field with auto-enter serial number before import and, upon import, choose to have auto-enter options enabled. Then your new records will have a serial number that is unique, and when new records are created or imported, you won't have any validation problems.

kjoe

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.