Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Related file to sum and create columnar report

ns1025

My customer wanted 10 to 14 lines for different employee tasks in a layout. Somehow the database has to compare the chosen task with a set task name and then sum the corresponding time in a separate field.

For the report I need a summary field (right?) that will keep count of the total of a certain task. Only summary fields can be sorted by month in a part on a report (right?).

I don't see how a related database could help. Or could it?

How would the file for summerizing the different tasks look like? Would I still have to have one field for each task?

Answer was posted by Ender. See also thread

http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?t=10408&page=3

I am not so sure if the related database would make summing the individual tasks a lot easier.[/Quote]

Indeed it will.

My customer wanted 10 to 14 lines for different employee tasks in the timesheet layout.[/Quote]

This is a great place to use a portal, since the number of lines is indeterminant, and the order is not particularly important.

For the report I need a summary field (right?) that will keep count of the total of a certain task.[/Quote]

Yes, but you need not define a separate summary field for each task. Just use a columnar report with sub-summary parts, having the summary field be a Total of Hours. Place this summary field on whichever parts you want a sub-total on (it will automatically sub-total by each change in the sub-summary part's break field. You just have to sort the records and show them in Preview Mode or Print the report).

You might see if the attached demo sheds some light on this (open the TimeSheet file). The structure is pretty common, resembling a typical Invoice or PO solution.[/Quote]

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.