Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

workaround needed for portal

jzn

Hi,

What I'm trying to do is get a portal of account balances to display only balances above zero.

Setting a relationship where BALANCE > ZERO would work great, except that the balance field is an unstored calculation (since it includes a relationship I can't make it stored). Anybody have a workaround idea to make this feasable?

A portal FROM WHERE to account balances (presumably in an ACCOUNT NAME table, and in which account balance is a calc field that sums up values in a related table Account Line Items or some such thing, probably?)?

Do you want a selfjoin so you can be on a layout of ACCOUNT NAME (or whatever you call it) and have a portal to all accounts where balance > 0?

Or do you want the portal to exist somewhere else? (And, if so, how that does that "somewhere else's" table link up to ACCOUNT NAME and/or to Account Line Items (or whatever you call that one)?

Could you live with a button that brings up such records in either a portal or a list view, leaving behind the screen you came from for the duration of examining the balance>o account-balance records? Keep in mind that you can have this data come up in a separate window, with the original window accessible simultaneously...?

If it needs to be on the same screen as you started out, it might have to be a phony pseudo-portal (a global field or a calc field of some sort, the contents of which are assembled in a homemade process rather than a FileMaker-native "display related records in a portal" object. What would you expect to be able to do with the portal records once you've got them? Scroll through them? (A scrolling script might be necessary but might also be possible) Edit data from that portal? (That could get messy, especially if you want value lists...but possible) Click on a line go to to the specified portal-record's native data entry screen? (That ought to be do-able). Etc...

Second time today you've gone to bat for me, AHunter, thanks again!

Or do you want the portal to exist somewhere else? (And, if so, how that does that "somewhere else's" table link up to ACCOUNT NAME and/or to Account Line Items (or whatever you call that one)?

I'm trying to use the same idea in a few different places. For the sake of discussion, ill describe one. In the CLIENTS table (chiefly an address book), I want a portal that displays from the PURCHASE ORDERS table, linked by client's full name. Next to their address, it would display all the purchase orders that are linked to that client. It works fine, but I want to get rid of all the ones that have zero balance left.

Could you live with a button that brings up such records in either a portal or a list view, leaving behind the screen you came from for the duration of examining the balance>o account-balance records? Keep in mind that you can have this data come up in a separate window, with the original window accessible simultaneously...?

I could settle for that, I've never played with pop-up windows in filemaker...I'm new to the post-7 world.

If it needs to be on the same screen as you started out, it might have to be a phony pseudo-portal (a global field or a calc field of some sort, the contents of which are assembled in a homemade process rather than a FileMaker-native "display related records in a portal" object. What would you expect to be able to do with the portal records once you've got them? Scroll through them? (A scrolling script might be necessary but might also be possible) Edit data from that portal? (That could get messy, especially if you want value lists...but possible)

Those are some very creative solutions, but that sounds like a sticky wicket! Maybe I'll just make them live with the zero balance items, just sorted at the bottom of the list.

Click on a line go to to the specified portal-record's native data entry screen? (That ought to be do-able). Etc...

hey...this one might be just what the doctor ordered. How do-able is it, really?

Here is a sample file that has a scripted update of a local (fixed) account balance. There is a timestamp to indicate when the list was last updated. You should be able to use the principle to do what you want. See what you think.

Important Information

Terms of Use