Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Applying a text colour change to the original field where the data was entered ?

physik

Hi !

I'm a new user working on my first database. In this I have a field called “Malaria #2” that is setup as a drop-down list using a value list of “NEG”, “POS”, “EQ”, “ND”. I want to use a calculation to make the text colour red when “POS” is entered, purple when “EQ” is entered and blue for any other values. So I wrote the following calculation …

Case ( Malaria #2 = "POS" ; TextColor ( Malaria #2 ; RGB ( 255 ;0 ; 0 ) ) ; Malaria #2 = "EQ"; TextColor ( Malaria #2 ; RGB ( 255 ; 0 ; 255 ) ) ; TextColor ( Malaria #2 ; RGB ( 0 ; 0 ; 255 ) ) )

… which works fine when I apply it to a new field (eg. “Malaria #2 colour”), but I really want to be able to apply it to the original field where the data was entered in the first place. However, when I try to do this I can get an error result telling me that the original field is “not modifiable”. I have looked through both the field and layout settings to see if I can make the original field “modifiable”, but I can’t seem to find anything appropriate.

Is it possible to apply such a calculation to the original field where the data was entered or do I have to settle for entering the data in one field and seeing the calculated result (a simple text colour change) in another field ?

Many thanks,

Mark

… which works fine when I apply it to a new field (eg. “Malaria #2 colour”), but I really want to be able to apply it to the original field where the data was entered in the first place. However, when I try to do this I can get an error result telling me that the original field is “not modifiable”.

Can you elaborate on "when I try to do this"? How, exactly, are you trying to do this?

Oh, and you might find it easier to set a highlight color behind the field itself rather than having the color of its text change.

To make the color of the original field change as a consequence of its own content pretty much requires a script. (There may be a non-scripted workaround but none immediately comes to mind. You can't auto-enter a calculation based on the field's own content, that's a self-referential loop). And if you want value lists, you can't just script a Show Custom Dialog ["Enter a value for 'Malaria 2' and hit 'ok' " field entry=TableName::Malaria 2; buttons=ok', 'cancel], so a scripted data entry is going to be a bit messy. (Again, there may be an elegant solution, but the only thing that immediately jumps to mind is a short pause before assessing field contents and applying text formatting based on that, which is not elegant and is messy)

Thanks.

Having posted the question, I noticed the "Similar Threads" link directing me to this thread ...

http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?t=9819

... which led me to the answer. It seems that I should not redefine the field as a calculation, but rather leave it as text then go to the auto-enter options and select "Calculated value". In the resulting window, I enter the calculation as before and click OK to confirm and then finally I have to make sure that I unselect "Do not replace existing value for field (if any)". I then click OK to confirm again (twice) to apply these options and everything seems to work as intended.

The "Similar Thread" link certainly did a better job of searching the previous threads than my own efforts.

Cheers smiley-smile

The calculation works fine as an "auto-enter replaces existing" with me

kjoe

Cool!

...... aside from what it implies about my memory.

::goes back and tries it out with various versions::

OK, it didn't let you do that in FileMaker 6. I ain't senile, I'm obsolete!

::stomps off muttering about young whippersnappers::

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.