Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Portal row will not delete

IGotIt

Hello again guys,

I just found something I didn't know was happening. I have three portals on a layout all from my “Detail TO”.

Detail_ContactAddress

Detail_ContactPeople

Detail_ContactPhone

All 3 portals are related to the “Contacts TO” by ContactID

I have a button on each portal (row) set to “Delete Portal Row? When I click on the delete button in any row in any of the 3 portals I get a dialog saying, “This operation cannot be performed because one or more of the relationships between these tables are invalid”.

I’ve gone to my relationships graph and all of the portals have the box checked that says “Delete related records in this table when a record is deleted in the other table.

I don’t even understand how the portals work if they have “Invalid relationships.

Your help would sure he great.

Milo

I’ve gone to my relationships graph and all of the portals have the box checked that says “Delete related records in this table when a record is deleted in the other table.

Not relevant, actually. You should be able to use Delete Portal Row whether this is checked or not. What checking it does is automatically nuke the related records of the records you're currently sitting on if you delete thatrecord.

Button is definitely fully inside the top portal row when you look at it in Layout Mode?

Hi aaa,

The file is too large and I don't think my membership gives me that privilege. I know that the portal row delete buttons did work because I tried them after I set them up. I have no idea what could have happened in the last few days to change it. I was hoping you guys would have some idea.

Milo.

Did you change a field definition of one of the fields in the relationship, by any remote chance? (Although if doing so makes the rel invalid you'd think it would make the portal data disappear from view)

I'm most curious about this.

Hi guys,

RE: "Did you change a field definition of one of the fields in the relationship, by any remote chance."

I do not remember changing any field definitions. The only thing i've done recently is set up a script regarding the "Set field" you were talking to Wingwalker about.

Milo

I take it the "Central Brain Trust" has run out of brain on this one.smiley-wink What are my alternatives?

The only thing I can think of is to make three layouts for Address, People and Phone and set up a script to delete directly from the layouts. I can’t think of anything else, what about you?

My concern however is that I can’t delete a portal row in 3 different portals and that's not right. And you guys don’t have the answer when you seem to always have the answer to everything!smiley-surprised That does not give me a very good feeling about what I'm doing either. It's like I know i'm building on something that is faulty and that is not a very good feeling.

Any other ideas would really be appreciated.

Milo

re this:

Alas sometimes your thread just sinks into the mists of history... nevertheless, I agree with AAA that the best thing for you to do is upload the file or a stripped version of it so one of us can take a closer look. If you don't want to be a full member then the alternative is post a link to a download site you have access to.

kjoe

Just for testing, try doubleclicking the portal in Layout Mode to bring up the Portal Setup dialog. In here, try hitting the option to allow deletion of portal records. Now back in Browse Mode, if you click on the portal row and hit the delete key on the keyboard, do you get the same error? If not, then you need to check the button/script. If you still get the error, then there must be something goofy with your relationship or with the chosen key fields for that relationship. We might be able to tell what's wrong if you can post a screenshot of your table occurence graph.

Hey they’re Milo,

It seems to me you've had some good recommendations. If you're still having trouble, allow me throw in another one just for fun. I think your problem is relational and it would not be a bad idea to tell your wife to stop calling either. Ar-Ar-Ar!smiley-laughing

First do you have a recent backup? Don't say NO because not having one is the same as saying "I'm a big idiot and the terrible things my girlfriends have said about me are all true"! smiley-surprised

You said that your delete buttons on the three portals worked before! Have you made any changes to your relations? My sense of it tells me you have! So here’s what I want you to do…

1. Open the solution where you were able to delete portal rows and go to the relational graph, Click on the “Edit Relationship” box for each of the three Detail_ContactAddress, Detail_ContactPeople and Detail_ContactPhone and write down, yes paper and pencil what a novel idea, all settings including the boxes checked at the bottom. Do the same thing with your Contacts TO they’re related to.

2. Now, open the solution you’re having trouble with and do the exact same thing. Looking at what is on your paper against what you see on the screen. I can almost guarantee they are not the same. If I’m right! Quit this solution, make a copy and open the copy. Now change all relational data to what you have on the paper and try to delete from your portals.

Always work from a copy and if you don’t remember what I said “Always work from a copy”! I have no idea if you’ve made other relational changes for other reasons. All I’m trying to do here is see if we can find the cause of this current problem without causing a lot of others. If this doesn’t work take two aspirins and call me in the morning.smiley-wink

Hope this helps,

Harry

Hi Everybody,

That was it Harry. I didn’t think so because I didn’t remember making changes recently but that’s exactly what happened. Thanks to all of you for your help, I can't tell you how good it feels to have things working again.

My wife said to tell you she'd try and stop calling!Opps!

Milo

Important Information

Terms of Use