Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

1 auto-enter timestamp for multiple tables possible?

bubba667

Hello all,

I am new to Filemaker, currently using v8.5. I am trying to have 1 field in my main table track when any field in any table is modified.

Here is my table structure:

Table 1: Main Compagny, containing client information, contains the auto-enter modification timestamp.

Table 2: Compagny #2, containing products/services sold to client. Related to table 1 by customer number.

Table 3: Compagny #3, containing products/services sold to client. Related to table 1 by customer number.

In my layout for table1, I have a portal to view the information for table2/3. My auto-enter timestamp based on modification works perfectly when editing table 1 info, but does not change when editing the information on table 2 or 3 from Layout of table1.

I tried setting up another field like the one in table 1 and relating it to table 1, but when it updates the relation breaks.

How can this be done?

Tx.

If you are displaying the file2 and file3 in a portal, of course you could juse list the modified time in the portal.

If you wanted for example to see the most recent update among all the tables for a particular key, you could create a calculation field that returns the most recent of the three. Then display the calculation field on the main screen.

Auto-update refers to updating the current table record, so an autoupdate at table1 it is true will not change when you modify table2 or table3.

You can create a field in Table A that represents the most recent modification date + time of Table A and/or Child Table B and/or Child Table C.

I needed that and found a way to make it work, but it's klunky IMO. If no one comes along with a more elegant solution, I'll post mine. (Relies on the Max function and requires a few iterations between tables...as I said, klunky)

Actually, the thing that made my solution klunky was that I wanted, in addition to the latest-of-multiple-tablerecords timestamp, the name of the modifier thereof. Just getting the latest timestamp?

Max(LocalTable::TimeStamp, Max(Relationship 1::TimeStamp), {Max(Relationship 2::TimeStamp)...} )

• 1 year later...

AHunter3, I would be very interested in seeing your way of retrieving the name of the person who most recently modified a record in any of the related tables, if you still have it available.

I am in exactly the situation described below: in my layout for one table, I have 3 portals (on different tabs) displaying related information, and I would like to be able to display in fields on the main table the last modified date and name of modifier for any of the related records. I've been trying to figure out a way, but no joy so far!

Important Information

Terms of Use