Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

New To Filemaker

stonts

Hi

I am new to filemaker

I need to build an application which will load .csv files into a database

(the csv files will contain million of records)

and compare date between tables(and create reports)

Can filemaker handle that?

To all FileMaker gurus here,

Can you please let me know what is the best thing to start with? I am new to FileMaker too and I want to know what is the best approach to learn FileMaker.

Is it necessary to know who to code in VisualBasic for example?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Is it necessary to know who to code in VisualBasic for example?

No, fortunately.

FileMaker is much easier to pick up than VB.

Have you ever used any database product to design a database? (I'm guessing that you might have, insofar as you mentioned VB, which is used by Access). If you have a basic feel for the idea of records and fields (as a graphical alternative to rows and columns, respectively), the easiest way to learn might be to just install it and dive in.

If you're familiar with the concept of related tables, you're ahead of the game.

Admittedly, I picked it up when FileMaker was a simpler product, but it's still one of the most intuitive products ever created.

Scriptology has mythical status but it's been out of print for years. Since then Filemaker has changed fundamentally.

So I'd advise you to just go to a bookstore and find the software shelf and see which book suits your needs. There are many titles available that are up to date with the current version of filemaker.

pro 8 bible (I read the v5 edition as a kind of primer years ago, it was very useful to me then.

kjoe

You are righte AHunter.

I worked with Access in 1996-1999.(i dont speake about early tools as Dbase,Foxbase, Foxpluss, Clipper)

Now i dont remember it, and also dont want.I remember only one: anything to do in Access was difficult and takes many times. I tried to learn VB after FM, but didn't like it. I learned SQL SERVER 2000. It is good database tool, but very hard and big. There is not reason use it in middle business.

But here i want to open thread "Why FM is not wellkmown in the world as the good database tool?"

Access is more wellknown, Oracle, SQL. This products is more wellknown as i know - why? What we can do that people will know about FM, that this is the best product for using in small and middle business.

Important Information

Terms of Use