Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Newbie - can't subtract x days from today

DarrenSW

Sorry if this seems simple, but I'm having real problems with this one! I'm looking to search my Records for instances where date 1 is any date earlier than today less 7 days and where date 2 is blank. Easy to explain... but hours with Scriptmaker, creation and deletion of innumerable fields, and several strategies tried and failed later, I'm no closer to achieving this one. I've tried using Global Fields, IsEmpty function, Set Field, all the usual suspects. Can someone show me what a simpleton I am and put me out of my misery? Thanks in advance.

Hi Darren,

Try:

Enter Find Mode [ ] ... uncheck pause

Set Field [ Date1 ; "

Set Field [ Date2 ; "=" ]

Perform Find [ ]

What surprises me is that this Find doesn't include Date1 records when both date fields are blank. I would think that the "

LaRetta

Unless I'm sleepwalking again (a possibility) I think FileMaker continues to exhibit the long-annoying behavior of not letting you SET a date field to anything that ain't a date, even in Find Mode where setting a date to "

Hmm, lemme check...maybe they addressed that and I didn't notice...

Well I'll be darned, they did finally fix that! We used to have to use

Insert Calculated Value [someDateField, "

(about time!)

Yes, since vs. 7 we've been able to use Set Field[] on dates using any calculation (that returns date result) and it's wonderful! And in vs. 8, we can also use wildcards and ranges within a date when finding, such as {7..8}/*/2006

... tickles me, it does! smiley_cool

Thanks, LaRetta! Worked like a dream. Great stuff, much appreciated. FileMaker is great, but, boy, is it fussy about Syntax! smiley-laughing

Important Information

Terms of Use