Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Will Filemaker work in a Doctors office

Eyedoctor

I am an optometrist and was wondering if this program would work in my office. I have been working with filemaker pro 8 advanced for a few months..have designed my forms....but cant seem to figure out how to do a few very important things.

First...I have information in the header that I would like to stay the same. It has the patients name...address...phone...acc #..etc... Then in the body i have tabs which I have my forms on. I would like to bring up a patients information...and would like to then type in a new date..and have the header information stay the same...but all my forms on the tab be clear of the previous information so a new file is created. Is this even possible. To make it even more complicated...it is possible to save the previous file...so I can go back and reference it if I need to. I was hoping there was some way the differents dates would allow this to happen. I am so new to all this...I may be asking for filemaker to do things that are impossible.....any help anyone might be able to give me...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...and please forgive me...it this doesnt make any since....peace...Jim

You need two tables: a Patients table in which you have all the info that is permanently a feature of the person (or at least semi-permanently a feature of the person), and a separate table, a Visits table, which contains all the fields like Date, Rx_OD, Rx_OS, Visual Field Results, Comments, Amt Billed, PaidStatus, etc etc.

Then you tie them together with a RELATIONSHIP. The most commonly used method is to have an auto-generated uneditable Serial Number in the 'parent table' (in this case Patients) and you have another field, let's call it Patient SerialNo, in Visits and the two fields are tied together in the Relationships tab of "Define Database" with "allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" checked on the Visits side of the relationship.

In Layout Setup, assign the layout you're using to the table "Visits" as its home table. The info in the top half should consist of the Clients fields, and in layout mode they should look like Clients::First Name and Clients::Last Name and so on.

Below that, you put the fields from Visits.

Duplicate the layout and ditch all the fields from visits. Change the "home table" of the duplicated layout to "Patients". Using the portal tool, create a PORTAL to Visits. Put just a couple fields (maybe even just the date field) on the top line of the portal (it will be repeated for line after line, for as many lines as you indicated should show on the portal). Drag a button to the side of the Date field, call it "Go", and assign it the function "Go to Related Record [Visits] using Layout [Visits]".

So you fill out the Paients data, if it's a new patient. Then you type in the date in the top line of the portal and click the "go" button. That takes you to a brand new record in Visits — the date field is filled in, and the info at the top is filled in, but the other Visits fields are blank. When the same client comes in next time, you do a Find in the Patients table for the patient in question, and you go to the portal's SECOND line, type in a date, and hit the "Go" button. Again, you get a blank record for the Visits info (except the date which you already typed before hitting "Go"), but the Patients data for this patient is already up there because you're looking "backwards" through the relationship to a single record for that patient that has the data in it when you look up at the top of this screen.

And yes, FileMaker will work very nicely in a Doctor's office. Even for multiple doctors who each have their own separate patients rosters.

Hi Eyedoctor,

I'm not addressing your specific question at all but there is at least one premade software application for the medical business that uses Filemaker as the backbone.

http://www.comchart.com/

I know absolutely nothing about it personally but it *may* be worth a look.

Ahunter3...thanks for your response...but I am having trouble making it work. I have the part with the information that stays in the record all the time like address...name..account number in the header portion and the rest in the body portion in "TABS". Like tab one has history page 1, tab two would be history page 2, tab 3 is exam page 1, tab 4 exam page 2...with the tabs having the information that I want to enter each year at their exam appointment. When I copy the table and then delete parts of the data items from one table...that I assign to the header part...it deletes it also from the table that I assign to the body parts with the tabs. Gosh..I hope this makes since...and I think I am in way over my head....but any help you can give would be appreciated.....and thanks for putting up with me...!!!!....Jim

NO no no no no, did I tell you to use tabs?

You don't use tabs for this. You use portals. Portals are not tabs. Portals are windows into another table entirely; tabs are not.

Oh, do you mean that's how you were trying to do it before posting your question here? Mm, sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat.

a) Open "Define Database" — Command-Shift-D on a Mac, Control-Shift-D on a Windows PC. Click the tab at the top of screen marked "Tables"

b) Create a new table, "Visits"

c) In the overhead set of 3 tabs, switch tabs to the Fields tab. If the little dropdown menu doohickey isn't already on "Visits", switch it to "Visits". The list of existing fields should be blank.

d) Click on the same doohickey again and switch it to "Clients", or whatever your original table was named. You should get a list of fields already in use, already defined. Select All — Command-A on a Mac, Control-A on a Windows PC — and hit the Print button at the bottom. Print out your field definitions and keep them by your side.

e) Click the dropdown doohickey yet again and switch back to "Visits". Go through your list of fields. At least one field (probably Client ID? Patient Chart ID? Social Security Number? whatever uniquely identifies the client) will exist in BOTH TABLES. Go ahead and add it to the Visits table.

f) At the top of the screen, click on the Relationships tab. Define a relationship between Clients and Visits, connecting Client ID (or whatever you're using / whatever you call it) in Clients to the corresponding field in Visits. On the Visits side...see the little checkbox that says "allow creation of records in this table via this relationship"? Check that checkbox.

g) Click the Fields tab in the overhead tabs section again. You should be on Visits, showing the one field, Client ID (or whatever you're using). Now add all the other fields that would vary per the visit — date, prescriptions issued, notes, etc. Use the printed field definitions from Clients to refresh your memory of fields you already defined. Any in that table that are really different for each visit? Create one like it in the Visits table.

h) When you are done, duplicate the original data entry screen. Then go back to the original (not the duplicate you just now made).

i) On the original data entry screen, remove all the fields that are "per the visit" from your original data entry screen. Put a portal on screen, using the portal tool. You'll want a scrollbar so you can scroll visits once you get more visits for this client than you have portals rows in your portal. When you create the portal, you'll be asked which fields to put on the portal. Choose the most important ones, like Date. Put a little button to the far left or the far right of the fields in the portal (but IN the portal, not outside it — stretch the portal or shrink a field to make room if necessary). The function you want to assign to the button is: Go to Related Record [Visits, using Layout: TheDuplicatedLayoutYouJustCreated]

j) Navigate to the Duplicated version of the layout. Change its name in Layout Setup to something useful like "Visit Info". Also in Layout Setup, switch the "home table" of the layout to Visits". Hit OK.

k) The fields on the layout should all be "foreign fields" now — when you look at them in layout mode, they start with two colons like ::fieldname, right? Those fields are in the Clients table. Locate and double-click all the ones that are really per the visit. At the top of the "Specify Field" dialog, you can switch the Table Occurrence from Clients to Visits. Then you'll probably have to root around in the list of fields until you find the correct field in the Visits table, because it's truly a different native table from the Clients table.

Now put a button somewhere on this page. The function of the button should be: Go to Related Record [Clients, using layout: Original DataEntry Screen]

That should allow you to enter visit after visit after visit for the same client. Pop in the date and click the button in the portal; the button takes you to the Visit-specific screen. The client data will already be present. Fill in the visit-specific fields. Vóila, and all that stuff!

AHunter3

Thanks for your fast response..and I will try that. Yes...I had been using Tabs from the beginning and did not mention that in my first post...I am sooo sorry. I was hoping to do it with tabs....but I understand that that might not work. I will work on what you shared and thanks again soooo much. I appreciate the time you have taken on this....an I feel I am being a pest...but I am really learning a lot....thanks again...Jim

You're not being a pest, you're being a newbie. Everyone is new once :)

And you are to be applauded for being reciprocally patient, both with the learning experience and with us knowitalls.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.