Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

How to highlight a portal row

IGotIt

I guess the title says it all "How to highlight portal a row"? I have a Contact, Customer, Vendor and Products file that each have a portal where a selection is made. I would now like to add the highlighting feature to the portals. I thought I had an example file somewhere but i'm unable to put my hands on it.

Thanks for your help,

Milo

More details would probably bring you more helpful responses.

I'll take a stab at it, but I'm not at all sure I'm following you here... You have a layout containing several portals; each portal contains several related records; your users make selections, which are in individual records of any given one of these portals; and what you want is for the entire portal row of the record in which the user made the selection to highlight?

If by "selection" you mean "user clicks a button within a given portal row, thus indicating their selection of something-or-other" — or can use that formulation whether that's how you've got it set up or not — you can attach to the button some variation on the following script:

Go to Portal Row [select, by Calculation {Get(PortalRowNumber)}]

Set Field [LocalTable::SomeField, Portal_A::SomeOtherField]

If, for one reason or another, using Go to Portal Row as described above won't do it for you, or you need a more compelling and distinctive selection-indicator, you can create a global container field and, in the table of which the portal relationship is a table-occurrence, a container calc field something akin to: Case(Get(RecordID)=$$SelectMe, GlobalContainer). Create also a calc field, number, Get(RecordID), call it "RecID". Put the calc container field in the portalrow behind all the other fields (which should be transparent), with graphic format set to "Enlarge or reduce" and with "maintain original proportions" UNCHECKED.

Into the global container field, paste a 1-pixel by 1-pixel solid colorswatch from GraphicConverter or MS Paint or Photoshop or whatever, in whatever color you want to use as a highlight color.

The in your script:

Set Variable [$$SelectMe, Portal_A::RecID]

Set Field [LocalTable::SomeField, Portal_A::SomeOtherField]

In FM 8 you can do this even without script.

The problem to do this with a script is that the highlight will not work if your user is landing on a record other than by script.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for the reply. It sounds very simple, but I am not sure I understan it. I would be appreciative it if you have a sample file you can share.

1. I would have to pull out a sample from a bigger solution for that.

2. The basic is with 2 unstored calculations and a global ($$) ID that equals the record ID.

For me it will be too long to explain here in a post, but I'm sure AHunter3 has enough time on his hands to type this technique in detail for you.

With the right combination of the above, the portalrow will be always highlighted, regardless the way you land on the record, scrolling, after a find, GTRR or whatever way there is to navigate between records.

Scripting will limit this, better is to use the full power of FileMaker.

• 5 months later...

I'm kinda looking for an answer to this too, as it will be a feature I'd like to implement in this database I'm working on.

Would it work if I made the background of each portal a big button, and somehow had the number of the button passed to the parent record. That way, not only would the row be hilighted, but it'd be remembered even while browsing.

Important Information

Terms of Use